Fredette chain guide

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I just finished installing a Fretdette chain guide on my 220. It seems very sturdy, and installed without a problem(I used the thicker spacers). My concern however is that the chain is going to hit the metal sides and decrease the life of my chain. Anybody have some info here. I have it lined up equal distances from the chain/sprocket on each side. Will be going riding this weekend to try it out.
Thanks
Lew

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
It will scuff the chain some, but I have not noticed any decrease in chain life. The thing is built like a tank and will take hits that would turn the stocker into a pretzel.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Thank God I'm not the only one. I've checked adjustment on mine many times yet it sure wears the edge of the master link clip. I guess I'll just keep replacing clips (about 2 or 3 per year), but haven't seen any excessive chain wear problems.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
hehe - I am glad to see others have this same problem. I thought it might just be me. ;)

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by BRush
The thing is built like a tank and will take hits that would turn the stocker into a pretzel.

Thats what happened to my stocker. I am not even sure what I hit, but it was shattered in many pieces.

Thanks for the insite. I will see this weekend. Goin ridin :yeehaw:
Lew

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
a bit of hammer tunning will get it in line, mine did the same thing - when the old one blew up it bent the mounts on the arm.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Sage,

Does your Fredette unit cause wear on the master link? The alignment on mine looks great both on the work stand and under its' own weight. I was thinking that under power perhaps the torque makes the chain run a distorted path.

Did you once say that Team Kawasaki used Toyota antifreeze in their road race bikes as it was gentle on the radiators?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
You might just add a washer or two as spacers between the plates and the guard.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…