Fredette KDX fork springs vs. Race Tech

Shontsy

Mar 25, 2004
Can anyone tell me if the FRP fork springs are long "XR" type springs, or are they the same length as stock KDX springs? If they are long like XR springs, that might help explain why Jeff recommends 0.40 rate springs for 210 lb rider while Race Tech recommends 0.46 rate springs for the same rider. According to Jeff, a 240 lb rider needs the 0.42's. Big difference in recommendations!

I want to buy parts this week but I can't decide what rate springs I want to buy. Basically, I just want to balance out the fork springs with the stock shock spring. I have not had a chance to try setting sag with the stock shock spring yet, so maybe that would help, but I know if it needs to be changed, I need to jump from 5.0 stock to a 5.2.

But still, someone should be able to answer the question: What fork springs are a good match for the 5.0 shock spring?

Someone please help!

Thanks for your time,
Shontsy

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I just changed my KDX200H springs to Eibach .43kg Honda XR400 springs and 5.2 shock spring and then immediately sent them off to FRP for a revalve and Gold Valves in the forks. I weigh 230LBS. The low speed compression and rebound seemed good, but the high speed compression is quite harsh front and back (after the revalve). I sent them back to Jeff for shim stack adjustments. The high speed compression problem may have affected my judgement of the spring performance, but it seems to me that the 5.2 shock spring is a bit too heavy for everything except jumps. This is with very minimal preload too. The .43kg fork springs seem to be about right for my riding style. I tend to like my suspension set up to be very plush. You might describe my preference as "loose". My understanding is that fork springs ordered for a KDX200H will be the short variety, including Jeff's. I think anything in the .40 to .43 range will balance well with the 5.0 stock shock spring.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
fredette and racetech springs are short

i am 180 and run racetech .40 front with racetech 5.0 rear. but i have cartridge emulators (racetech). just have to try them till u find what u like.

what kind of riding are you doing and first off setting your sag is the first thing you should do. you could have the right spring and not know it.

Top Bottom