Fredette porting

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
A local dealer has a 2001 KDX220 in excellant condition.Still has titties on the stock tires.The bike was bought from the same dealer and the buyer had it modified before ever taking it home.He then rode it a few times and then traded it in for a quad.Anyway he had the cylinder ported by Fredeette racing,FMF pipe and silencer,and jets.Everything else is stock.I've had a 220 before and I was happy with the stock engine and never thought about porting.What does it do and will I regret buying a bike that has had this done ? :ugg:

rvguy

May 31, 2002
I'm suprised that nobody replied to this, so here's my 2 cents.......
You've had a 220 before, so you know that there isn't a whole lot of top end. If a bike has been ported, it has had intake and exhaust ports "re-mapped" for one reason and that is to change the exsisting torque, horse power and where the power lies. Chances are it was ported for more top end. Here are the pro's and con's.
Pro's......the engine was modified for maximum performance, you'll never have to have it done, could add some value to the bike......
Cons, Was it done write? Is the power where you like it? Why did the original owner invest into this bike and then sell it at a loss?

It's one thing to buy a bike with cool stuff already done, but this bike was taylored to someone else's needs. As long as is suites you, consider it. But also consider that you may be buying someone else's basket case.
-JMO

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
Well not only did I not get any replies on this page but none on the Fredette page either.The dealer that had the bike started it up for me and took it around the lot a few times.I was not able to ride it but it ran and sounded good.The story I got was that some guy wanted to race it in Carlsbad at a Grand Prix but never did.He then gave it to his wife but she didn't like it so it was traded in.Somehow I feel like I'm not getting the whole story but oh well.I bought the bike yesterday and took it to the desert today.It runs great.I don't see much difference between it and my old one.The Mech at the dealer said that it was not radical porting and mainly just cleans it up.He was the one that had the work done by Fredette and then assembled the engine.He was a really nice older guy and he said the bike runs really clean and that I would be happy with it.If any of you SoCal riders are fimiliar with John Burr Cycles that's the place.Tomorrow I will take it out to my favorite place and I will then be able to critique it better.So far I'm real happy with it.I don't know how much it costs to have the Fredette work done but I may have been disapointed if I had paid to have it done.It still seems the best thing to do to a KDX is change the pipe.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Fredette knows kdxs. I wouldn't worry about it being 'right' or not.

As far as it being 'worth it', and whether you would have been happy to have paid to have it done, there's a whole spectrum of porting options. The one doing it will have some pretty extensive input from the owner before he starts sawing, grinding and excavating a cylinder/head.

So far I'm real happy with it

..seems a real good place to start.

ps
Maybe it still has 'titties' on the tires cuz they were put BACK on after the REAL ones were worn out!;) All sorts of guys round here put new tires on new bikes before they even ride them cuz they know what they want. Then the stockers go back on when it's time to sell it.

The kdx has a ton of possibilities hiding inside. In stock form it's a bit 'underdone'. The 220 certainly isn't much of a 'racer'. Port timing is too conservative.

If you had one 'stock' before and were happy with it, you'll be happy with this one.

Revalve the suspension, modify the carb, pipe it and jet it correctly and it will be a completely different animal.

have fun!

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
The area I went to with my buddy is better for big bore bikes.I like my XR400 for that area.Later the same day I took the bike out to the hills near my house where I go at least once a week and I was able to see the difference right away.Compared to my old 220 this bike is faster in the mid range and on top.It likes to rev just a bit higher but still has great torque.It came with the Gnarly torque pipe and power core II silencer and seems to be jetted almost right on.I'd like to try one up on the pilot but otherwise seems good.My 98 had a Boyesen rad valve so that will be the next thing I get.This bike is a keeper .

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Good deal, nothing like finding a bike that has been traded for a quad!!! You know that thing has never been ridden hard! Usual scenerio, guy buys it, rides it, put's it down once, and is back at the dealer trading for a quad. Sweet....

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
if you want more over-rev you can get the carb bored, with the freddete porting it will rev out nicely. I think freddete charges about $60 for boring 220 carbs. The mounting tab for the pipe has the model # stamped on it it will be a kg-30 or kg-35. Fredette has a good rep with other tuners for his port shape on the kdx 220.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…