Fredette Tail Light & Headlight Kit

JETPRO_X

Sep 6, 2000
Has anyone intalled Fredette's kits for tail and head lights on a 2000 KDX 220? I was installing the front unit and that seemed straight forward. When it came time to install the rear kit it seem either hardware is missing or that maybe he sent me the wrong kit. There is no proper method to install the switch for the rear tail light, so that it is held firmly in place.(:

------------------

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Behind the right side panel there is a bracket welded to the frame. Put the switch through this bracket and use the safety wire to connect to the knob on the back of the brake pedal. I used a spring between the switch and wire on my '96.

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
I just tried to put mine on my '01 KDX200 lastnight. I don't think it's the best set-up in the world. I like hydraulic switches, but there's just no room for one on the KDX. Baja Designs sells a micro-switch for the KDX. If I had to do it again, I'd go that way (story of my life!).

Anyway, Jeff admits it's a very sloppy fit. I was thinking about putting a nylon nut above and below the bracket with washers to hold it in place better, but I really don't think it matters that it's loose. The wire will hold it in place and if and when the wire breaks, the electrical connections SHOULD hold it in place for a while. I'd probably zip tie the electrical wires to the frame just in case.

I WOULD take WOODSRIDER'S advice on putting a spring somewhere along the wire. There really is nothing from keeping the switch from being torn apart under heavy braking if it's not adjusted just right. You may think you have enough slack by just pushing the pedal with your hand when adjusting the switch, but you never know how far it's going when you are braking hard. You'll need to find a spring that is stiff enough to pull the switch, yet soft enough to stretch a little when the switch bottoms out and the brake pedal keeps going down.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited 04-14-2001).]

JETPRO_X

Sep 6, 2000
Thanks for the input. Do any of you know what size nut would fit on the switch? I want to use two so that its not flopping about. I like the idea of the spring too!Jeff if your listening put a little more into this kit! Like say two nuts and a spring,and how about a picture or two for those instuctions. :)

------------------

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
Ok JETPRO, I came up with 12mm with a 1.5 pitch. While you're at the hardware store searching, try not to think about the 30 bucks you already spent on the thing. This always helps me.

------------------

JETPRO_X

Sep 6, 2000
Russ thanks for the info.With the exchange that 30 is like 55!! Now I have to go spend the afternoon at the hardware store instead of riding! Jeff I"ll say it again include the nuts and spring :mad:

------------------

Top Bottom