Fredette Torque Ring Review: More than worth it.

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
For ME.

I rode my '06 (pc spark arrestor, fresh packing, 42/155 jetting, no airbox lid) for the first time since installing an FMF rev pipe this past weekend. It *killed* the flexibility of the bottom end. Yes, great on top, frenetic even, but the minimum rpm at which the motor would respond to throttle input was much higher. Below a certain point, it would blubber and threaten to stall when under load, and do so in a way that was a LOT different from the stock pipe. I'm jetted at 42/155, and I didn't play with jets or the needle position to try and improve the situation.

When I ordered jets from FRP, I ordered the torque ring on a whim. I had it with me, and installed it mid day Saturday.

The difference was night and day.

The engine regained a lot of it's utility at the bottom. Maybe not as good as stock, but not W T H? either. I think it's a great product, and it did great things for my bike. I think it tones the rev pipe down a step or two.

It was tight where I was riding this weekend, so I didn't really get a feel for the TR's impact at the top of the rev range. At some point soon I'll rejet for warmer weather and maybe try taking it out again..

Again, for my bike it was totally worth what little and cost and then some.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Nice. Looks like if you have the bike tuned for top end, the torque ring will get you back some of the bottom end. Still seems like compensating for incorrect tuning for conditions to me though. I had one laying around so I put it in my 89 and absolutely hated it. It ruined what top end I had, and added a tiny bit to the low end. I could pop up the front wheel easier, but it did not gain enough down there to justify the loss on the top end.

I would think in your situation though, with the REV pipe, you have made it more like a woods pipe! Sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom