Free trial subscription not working

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I signed up for it, got my Paypal confirmation but the site looks no different to me and the subscriber forum is still locked. Am I doing something wrong?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The "free trial" isn't even supposed to be there anymore? Where did you find it?

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I just tried to find where it was but I didn't see it. I know it was an option because that is what I clicked and my Paypal confirmation I got as an email is below:

You have successfully signed up for a subscription to DRN Subscription -
Free Trial using PayPal.

Your first subscription payment, for $0.00 USD, has already been sent to
Webwerkz Inc..

------------------------------
Subscription Details

Date of sign up: Dec. 26, 2003
Subscription Name: DRN Subscription - Free Trial
Subscription Number: S-5V716433ST908810L
Item Number: TDRN-SubYFT

Subscription Terms:
Free for the first week

Then $12.00 USD for each yearThe following options were included with this
subscription:
Your Screen Name: rockrider

Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates stated above unless
you cancel prior to the end of the billing period.
If you have any questions or concerns about this subscription, please
contact Webwerkz Inc..

Contact Information

Business Name: Webwerkz Inc.
Contact Email: okie@dirtrider.net
Contact Phone: 847-390-3132

I guess since I can't view anything it didn't work anyway? Too bad the free sub isn't valid, seemed like a great idea. Kinda of along the lines of picking a mag up at the news stand and leafing through it before you decide to buy or subscribe.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Kinda of along the lines of picking a mag up at the news stand and leafing through it before you decide to buy

After 286 posts over 3 years, you'd think you had thumbed thru it enough to see the value?

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
That was true a couple years ago. Not true anymore. I seldom log in to this site since the subjects on this page rarely change and there is a definite "attitude" that was not present until after the pay per view was installed.

This was the first time I went to subscribe and then find out the free trial was no longer available. You guys want my $12 then let me see what it is I'm missing. From my strictly registered view, all I see is a site with very few new posts. I have to assume that all the posts take place in the subscriber only forums.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by rockrider
That was true a couple years ago. Not true anymore. I seldom log in to this site since the subjects on this page rarely change and there is a definite "attitude" that was not present until after the pay per view was installed.

This was the first time I went to subscribe and then find out the free trial was no longer available. You guys want my $12 then let me see what it is I'm missing. From my strictly registered view, all I see is a site with very few new posts. I have to assume that all the posts take place in the subscriber only forums.
Do you hit "view new posts since last visit"? There are plenty of new posts, it just depends as to whether they're of interest to you or not.

If you're going to subscribe solely for access to other forums - don't bother - unless you're into politics. This will probably be edited out, but the subscriber forum (yes, we get access to one only) is not worth $14 a year (note: the price has gone up). I don't know what else the support team members get, but gather they get more forums (which may or may not be worthwhile), access to chat & I dunno what else.

What is worthwhile to me is the profiles (I'm nosey), the pm's (tho don't use that feature much), and being able to post/respond more than 2x a day (I think that's one of the things that's limited these days).

I can also justify around $NZ20-30 per year, whereas $NZ70-80 seems too steep to me - the mc club we belong to costs us $40 (for both of us) a year & is more "real" - no offence intended to anyone - I do enjoy this place & get a **** load out of it & in some ways do feel I should step up to support team, just cannot justify it to the other half (or myself).

Yes, in some ways the tone of the place has changed, but that's due to a number of reasons. Real friendships are developing/have developed, it's become more of a "clubroom" rather than solely "someone's home" and probably other reasons I can't even think of at the moment. It's also a time when a lot of people are doing family things or are working on their bikes or whatever, so always quietens down around now.

Basically, if you don't think you'll get $14 value out of your time here, don't subscribe - it's your choice. Plenty of people have decided after a day or so that they like the place/tone & signed up, their choice.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Like Michelle said the true Value is not in the Support and Subscribers forum, yes you get emails, journels, and pictures pages. Yet I don't use those. The True value is when you have an issue and someone like Rich or Farmer John jump in and answer your questions.

I think the attittude is in the way a person reads a post, some folks, like me, may be a bit insacure and take things the wrong way. Maybe it's just the lack of a smiley, but something sets us off. Also there are a bunch of people that meet and ride together, friend ships are formed, those folks tend to talk in different tones to each other here.

Also you have to imaging how many times the same question has been asked, how many times people post the question CRF or YZF, red or Blue :) I prefere Orange but alas it's an opinion, thus you often here "Do a search" which sometimes new folks will take that as a slap in the face. They feel their question wasn't good enough so off they run. They honestly can't imagine how many times Truespode must see that question and the people that have been here for many moons just ignore it. When I first starting I was intimadated by those with the picture thingys by there names, yet now, I know they are people with Families, jobs, and responsibilities and any help or advice they give us is golden, so I don't read any "attitude" into there short replies, even when they "still" delete or lock my posts ;)

I guess in short it's worth it, due what you must! Just one more example of pure benefit to me, The Lasik operations thread. I recently went to the Dr. to discuss this. I got more info here, and real world experience from people just like me! Thanks DRN

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I can't really add much as far as why it might seem there is an "attitude" at DRN but expand on some of the resons that it might appear that way. If you have a bunch of buddies that you hang out with on a regular basis you interact with them differently that you do with people you just met. That's pretty much EXACTLY what happens here. I know a majority of the core group on DRN personally, mostly from Dirt Week or my travels on vacation where I make an effort to hook up with some local DRN'ers where I might be staying and others do the same thing. We have a group that started with TwinSpar, Thump & myself getting together at the Dallas SX a few years ago, now it's like a family reunion with members from Kansas, Oklahoma & Texas all tailgating and sitting together and spending a long weekend doing things together. Pick a name you see on DRN often and I can put a face to it 95% of the time. Find a DRN'er that's having some problems of some sort and I am certian that they have gotten emails of support at the bare minimum and usually more. I have a lot of friends I have made through DRN that I would do just about anything for and have for some. So yes I think to somebody that is either new to the site or even those that have been around it might seem you are on the outside looking in but, all you have to do is join in the fun either through your keyboard or even better by meeting up with some DRN'ers in the flesh.

Dave331

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2004
Hey I just joined 10 minutes ago after only first seeing this site two days ago. The information on this site is way worth the price of admission.

I have also administered another vb forum and photo post gallery in the past (not dirt bike related) and can tell you outright that they are both resource hungry software programs and a site this size requires a dedicated server which can cost anywhere from $1200 to $3000 or more a year, depending on platform and configuration.

Now why the hell isn't my membership activated yet! LOL ..... Just kidding I know you do that manually. Thanks for the Great Site!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Think of it this way, your subscription keeps DRN on the air - that's all.

I have met some great people/friends through DRN - and the best thing is, they have a common interest - most of the people I meet in my daily life are totally confused as to my preference for my particular hobby.

As it is, at least with DRN, membership is optional, no trial period, there are few limitations, but you still get access to all the good information.

Are you talking about a cliquey attitude ?, or is it that people who have been communicating for a long period of time have a relationship with each other, and can understand each other. If what you are talking about an us vs them attitude, a schism of sorts, you may be right, sort of like a group of people in a neighborhood putting their time, money and effort in building a public park - all are welcome to visit, all must live by the rules, but those who contribute, definitely have a protective mentality about their park/club !! . If there is a members area i.e. a pool or clubhouse, then you can understand that only members are allowed, so yes this does create/cause differences, perceived, real or otherwise.

However thse differences disappear when we get together in real life, I could care less about who is a DRN subscriber or not when with my riding buddies.

Last edited:

Dave331

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2004
Whoops de dew, I spook to soon now I got smilies to knock off with my new privleges

I usaully moon the Cog railway once :moon: and double moon the Sierra Members twice :moon: :moon:

Last edited:

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Originally posted by Dave331
[BI usaully moon the Cog railway once :worship: and double moon the Sierra Members twice :worship: :worship: [/B]

Might want to double check your smilies Dave. You gave the Sierra club 2 WORSHIP smilies. Now I'll have to give YOU two moon smilies :moon: :moon:

Jeremy

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by Michelle
If you're going to subscribe solely for access to other forums - don't bother - unless you're into politics. This will probably be edited out, but the subscriber forum (yes, we get access to one only) is not worth $14 a year (note: the price has gone up). I don't know what else the support team members get, but gather they get more forums (which may or may not be worthwhile), access to chat & I dunno what else.
Knowledge is shared openly here. if you have a question, ask it ad it will get answered. To me that alone is worth the annual fee but DRN is more than that. I have met and become friends with counless numbers of people herem shoot my wedding party was all DRNr's (Billy and Okie) and I had a bunch that came to the wedding, Patman even drove up from Austin for it!. I know that if I ever needed help with something dirtbike related or not I could count on my DRN buddies, and they could count on me. Then you have special deals like Service Honda did last week where they sold 2 CRF250's for $5199 OTD but only to DRN members, it did not matter if they were subscribers or not, Service just wanted to offer it to this group and none other.

But even more than that, I think that some of you are under the impression that the internet is FREE. Well it is not. A lot of money goes into the servers, computers, software and we won't even calculate the time that Okie puts in to this site to add new features and functions. So some people join just because they want to help out while the bulk of the members want to eat off of someone elses plate for free.

What is really a shame is that the vast majority of the subscribers support team and sponsors are the ones that contribute valuable information when it is them that should get the free meal ticket.

As far as the attitude that is percieved.... Maybe there is, but from my point of view it is an attitude against those that support the site rather than the other way around. Some of you think there is a clique here, well there is, it is called friendships that have formed ON THIS SITE. There is also a clique among the non-supporters, the DRN has an attitude clique and you all back eachother up, just as Michelle has done here the same way we back up our friends.

If you don't like DRN, don't read it. If you do like it and want to eat the food we offer for free, by all means eat! If you find it valuable and don't like the thought of eating a free meal everytime you come to the table, then become a subsriber or support team member. Simple as that.

Dave331

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2004
Originally posted by Hondaxrguy

Might want to double check your smilies Dave. You gave the Sierra club 2 WORSHIP smilies. Now I'll have to give YOU two moon smilies :moon: :moon:

Jeremy

LOL .... thanks Hondaxrguy, we definately don't want to worship them, i've edited the post with the smilies I intended to use.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by super rat
There is free food here? Where are you guys keeping it I'm hungry!!

you need to know the secret handshake, and be a member of the cliquety-clique - we also have free beer ;) :moon:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I gotta add my two cents here.  I joined up here in March of 2002. The same month I started riding a dirtbike.  After a short period of time, I went Subscriber and soon enough I was Lifer.  Ya wanna know why??  Within a single MONTH of becoming a DRN Member, I was contacted by a handful of other DRN members in my area who were willing to ride with me and teach me some things (Firelilly, SparkyYZF, Karna&Justin, Buddy, Hot4Teacher).  Another month after that, I met about 40 more dirtbikers at the Oregon Ladies Ride School, hosted by DRN member Pegasus and taught by DRN Members GirlRider and DoubleBlip.

The DRN Connections snowballed and I mean literally.  Six months later, I'm in the same boat as Tony Eeds.....going to Dirtweek '02 all by myself, a total newb.  I met every single person at Dirtweek that year and have formed some lasting relationships with many of them.  Even bought a KTM from one of them. 

I've met people in my very own District at race events, all because of the the DRN connection. ("Are you GETMETOCA?" asked one ScottYZ250 ;) )  Last year I hosted a ride at Deer Creek, CA with 22 DRN members present and we all BBQ'd back at my place after the ride.  I've gotten advice on mechanical issues with my vehicles, my bikes, I have an outlet to write my rambling ride reports.  I got sympathy when my 17 year old cat died and Get Well wishes when I tore my rotator cuff.  I've received calls from DRN friends who were "on their way Up North or Down South" and wanted to know if they could crash at my place midway?  Well, Hell Yes!!  I said.  I could go on about the friendships I've formed and the knowledge I've gained.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that being a Subscriber or a Lifer is not just about getting to post pictures or getting to post more than 2 posts a day, its about getting involved with the people who ARE Dirtrider.Net.  Please give it a try.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thank you, Natalie ... I couldn't have said it better myself, ma'am. Although I have never had the pleasure of crashing at another DRNer's house, I know I could stop at anyone's house tomorrow.

This site is about friendships and connections with good (actually GREAT ;) ) people.

Come in, sit down on the couch, listen for a while, learn about the various personalities and wade into the fray ... you will not regret it.

I have traded 5 emails with a new NTSP member today. We are planning a major ride for early March.

Eleven of us rode together on New Years Day.

I have set up a roster and am building email alerts to keep everyone informed of the opportunities to get together.

The circle continues ....

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I'm curious if I should be doing something different when I log in and click each forum. Years ago, a topic on the General page would get buried pretty quick unless it was super popular. But now, when I click to look at the general forum, not much changes week after week, same goes for Just KDX. That is what led me to believe all the posting was going on in the subscriber forums, but that doesn't sound to be the case?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There is a subscriber forum and there are SupportTeam forums. There are 32,000 posts in there.

There are 278 new posts today (as of 2:29pm central)
There are only 23 new threads.

What does that tell ya? People here tend to look for questions/topics already posted before firing off a new topic that already exists. The ratio of new topics to new threads is right where it should be.

SupportTeam members use the chat system extensivley, this cuts down on the number of posts 370 members make in the forums.

The reason threads stay on the front page of a forum is becuase they tend to get a lot of replies. Yes, there are some threads with little response, but pay attention to the typical number of replies to threads on other boards. There are typically a LOT of threads with 0/1 replies.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'm curious if I should be doing something different when I log in and click each forum. Years ago, a topic on the General page would get buried pretty quick unless it was super popular. But now, when I click to look at the general forum, not much changes week after week, same goes for Just KDX. That is what led me to believe all the posting was going on in the subscriber forums, but that doesn't sound to be the case?
Rockrider, on the front of the forums page, up on the top left hand side, underneath the banner, are three lines of text.
1. Your time
2. Last time you visited
3. View new posts since last visit & view today's active threads, along with drn remote.

If you click on view new posts since last visit, you'll get to see how many there are. If you look at any posts you've subscribed to first, then click on that a bit later, you'll get sod-all, as there's a time factor (I'd guess 10-15 minutes).

What works great is clicking the link for new posts, then opening the ones you want to read in another window - keeping the search results. When you go off page 1, onto page 2, 3 etc, if you click back to one, it'll update.

I hope that helps & glad to see you've stuck around & not decided we're all bagging on you. One thing I think would be way cool, is a ride report from you & if possible pictures. It'd be neat to see another place to drool over ;)

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I can give a ride report for snowmachining. We only have about 3' on the ground and need more snow to cover up the alders and willow trees in order to open up more areas. Depending on how break up goes, the first I'll be able to ride my KDX will be in late April but most likely May. My dirt bike season is from May until October. October is pushing it because it starts getting cold and icy. We usually we have snow on the ground before Halloween.

I think my area of the state is probably similar to areas of New Zealand in that I live in a glacial valley and the majority of my riding area is composed of rocks, silt, glacial till and gravel. Traction is not a problem but the ground tends to put a hurting on you when you wreck!

Top Bottom