will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
whattup, gangstas!! been a while since i dropped by, and i see it's turned into a regular racer x gallery around here. i've been off "training" and after looking at the work chili, crash, squid and bspeed posted, i think i need more practice. guess we never stop learning, eh?

anyhow, i lugged a 20d and a mark 2 around all weekend at freestone and after tossing out the obvious trash, i had 939 images! i don't think i'll embarass myself too much with a few of my faves, so here goes:

ferry launch

191367754-L.jpg

not the sharpest pic i took, but i still love it. windham just floats!

191368334-L.jpg

young mr. canard looks promising...

191368781-L.jpg

but he has to contend with young mr. villopoto along the way.

191369946-L.jpg

tough day for andrew short, but he'll be back.

191370269-L.jpg

one thing is for sure...i need to pay more attention to the details. i'm new to lightroom and of course totally spaced on changing the jpg export setting from adobe rgb to srgb, so the web display isn't quite what i want, but i ain't doing it again. besides, there'll be more in my gallery soon.

wp.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
reentry

191370551-L.jpg

the most impressive thing i saw josh grant do all weekend:

191372262-L.jpg

this kid just never, ever lets off the gas.

191372589-L.jpg

and this one is just super smooth. the iceman cometh...

191373837-L.jpg

it slices, it dices, it chops, but wait...there's more!!!

191374976-L.jpg

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
freestone dirt was sweet!

191375296-L.jpg

this kid is fast, but i'm still not sure he's a winner.

191375675-L.jpg

grant langston, on the other hand, has earned mad respect. this guy can dig deep!

191376837-L.jpg

never count your chickens...

191377170-L.jpg

who the heck is austin stroupe???

191377463-L.jpg

wp.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Very nice will. I have a few also but nowhere near as nice. I had my D60 with a cheap lens and my sd750 which Josh used to take a few.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Great pics, Will !
Was it tough getting a place to shoot? or did you have a VIP pass or other such that helped with getting a good spot ?

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Dude, looks to me like you killed it. Good work. I'll have a look at your gallery tonight at home. This work computer is just too slow to look at tons of photos.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
Squid31 said:
Oh ya, when did you pick up the MkII?

about 35,000 times between saturday and sunday. talk about arm pump!!

actually, i borrowed the body and rented the lens. i just don't have $10,000 rolling up hill yet, but you better believe i'm saving my pennies. there is a mark 3 parking place in my camera garage!!

thanks for the good words on these, but make sure to look at the updated versions in the gallery. i saved as srgb and did al little cropping. after this exercise, i am FULLY sold on lightroom!

wp.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Oh I know what you mean about arm pump. I picked up a 300 f2.8 at Millville and carried it on my MkII (until it died) and my 70-200 on the 1D. Man that stuff is heavy.

Are you shooting raw? I would assume you are because of the reference to Lightroom. If so, care to give a quick run through of your workflow?

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
Squid31 said:
Oh I know what you mean about arm pump. I picked up a 300 f2.8 at Millville and carried it on my MkII (until it died) and my 70-200 on the 1D. Man that stuff is heavy.

Are you shooting raw? I would assume you are because of the reference to Lightroom. If so, care to give a quick run through of your workflow?

actually i shot jpg. lightroom doesn't seem to care which format it is, and the tools are the same either way, which is sweet. cs3 actually give you the option of opening jpg files in acr, and i think making that functionality available to the folks who live off jpg was brilliant!

anyhow - and keep in mind i'm very much a lightroom rookie at this point - my workflow was simple: use library mode to surf the imported images, then give the ones i intended to put in my gallery a 5-star rating. as i rated each one, i decided if it needed tweaking, and if so, just switched to develop mode. at that point it was just very small adjustments to get the look i was after, crop if necessary, and even a few minor spot removals. i probably could have automated it because i found that some of my adjustments were very consistent. however, certain images, like anything with that ugly a$$ pro circuit gear, required a little more attention.

after i had worked through all 940 images, i filtered in library mode for only the 5-stars. select all, export to jpg, and upload to smuggy. the whole excercise took 3-4 hours, which i know is way less than photoshop would have required.

wp.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Nice Will! That shot of Langston is awesome!

Top Bottom