Frequency of top end changes

thomas123

Oct 31, 2001
Hi, I just bought a 2002 cr125 that was used by a Canadian national pro in a few races, anyway it's been ported and has a high-compression head, full bills pipe, suspension, etc... It's also only run on race gas. My question is how often should I change the piston/rings? I race at the Junior level in canada ( I think that's the "C" class in the states but I may be wrong ) I've heard 10 hrs per topend but I'm not sure if that's also for modified motors. Thanks, Thomas

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It also depends on the piston you use-the std one is a very sloppy fit even when new.It also depends on how big the ports are.I would think 10 hours is a safe limit and i guess you could go a bit longer say 15 hours but its a risky thing to do-it would be wise to fit a piston and run it for 10 hours-dissassemble and measure everything to see how it holds up.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Try to buy some digital calipers, mine cost $40 and paid for themselves X 5 recently. I thought i was ready for a full top end and clutch, after measuring the specs all it cost me was a ring set and gaskets!

thomas123

Oct 31, 2001
What piston would you reconmend if not stock? the one time I tried a vortex piston in my 2000 cr250 it completly shattered after only 7 hours of use, not pretty... Ever since I've been using stock pistons... Thanks, Thomas

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The wisecos are the strongest bar none-but you have to bed them in right and warm them up properly-the vertex's are good but they do make some race only ones-these last 7 hours like you have found.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…