WILLETTS

Jul 28, 2002
Ok I'm thinking about making the jump from my 98 kdx 220 to a new kx250f. I only race a few H/S a year and mainly trial ride but want more then the kdx has to offer. I am 6'0 190 without gear.Does this bike have enough "ummph" to pull me through the mud and hillclimbs,how much difference can I expect ? Any ex-kdxers out there have one ?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
every report I have read thus far says the KX250f tends to over heat & boil over. Not good for a 4-stroke. It might be something to consider when riding mainly in the woods and at times slow.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
A 220 two stroke is going to have more power than a 250 four stroke naturally(but I don't know if it even does anymore). They are so much more hopped up for racing. If more power is what your wanting with the same 2 stroke feel a KTM300 or 380EXC are nice bikes. But if you want even more low end than a KDX220 then the new 250F's arn't bad trail bikes while keeping the weight down. I don't know why you would want all that low end with even less top but I'm sure there's a use and a reason. A 4 stroke will run hotter esp. if you keep your RPM's up like your riding a 2 stroke. Which ever you like but you never can go wrong with a KDX.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
I have a 2003 WR250 and am racing mostly hare scrambles. After you do the mods (gray wire, pipe and leak jet) the thing just plain flies. The KX will probably be better than the WR but as tall as you are the WR would fit you better. You also didn’t say if your 220 is stock. If it is, for god sakes put a pipe on it.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
You don't have to have a pipe on your bike(if you keep it) but its worth all the money esp. if you race harescrambles. Some bike you won't even notice when the pipes on or not. On the KDX it makes a lot of difference. Thats why the Garly/Fatty and the 220/200 are great pairs. There is a rev and a torque Garly so get the right one(Garly just means 18 gauge steel). A TurbineCore2 silencer helps too.

HRP396

Sep 29, 2003
I have a 99 kdx 200. I bought it new in 98.I put just about every mod mentioned on the just kdx site on it.I have had a blast on it and have no problems racing or jumping with it. The only things I don't like are the frame not being an mx frame and the seat and tank not being flat.
I read alot about the new kxf/rmz 250s and bought the rmz thinking I would just try it for something different. I was surprised by how light and nimble the rmz was.I had such an easy time adapting to it . I couldn't belive how well it cornered and how easy it was to jump it.When I got back on the kdx I could feel the two stroke power difference, but I was actually going faster on the four stroke.I will never sell my kdx,but I'll be using it now only as a spare. As far as the kxf/rmz running hot that is true but can be corrected easy enough just by draining the antifreeze and using a perfomance coolant like engine ice.

WILLETTS

Jul 28, 2002
well I got the kx250f,what a nice bike to ride,plenty of power and the suspension feels good.only have about an hour on it so not really an expert. Still have the kdx(rev pipe and airbox mod).Think I'm gonna sell it though,.
Looking forward to the 50's this weekend so I can try running alittle harder.

Top Bottom