dtracy

Feb 28, 2006
I've been riding a 96' kdx 200 for some time. In the woods it does does great for me but We do a lot of hill climbing and I would like a little more low end than the kdx has.

I don't want to go to a 4 stroke like an xr or dr, because I love how light the kdx is. Actually would prefer it to be a little lighter.

I also like to get on the kdx, in the more open areas and would like a little more power in that area.

Is a KTM the answer for me. And if so which one, I hear people talk about the 250 exc, is that for me. Again, i want more low end torque and be able to get on it in 3rd gear in the open areas or so.

Thanks,

ktm convert??

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
You'd be very pleased with an orange 200. I've had the KDX and gone to a mellow year KX 250, then to the 200MXC. I really like the light
feel the bike and the power offer. 250's are sweet, but the 2hun will
fit your ridding style. You'll gain speed in all instances, but you still
have that forgiveness of 200 power.

Best thing you can do for any KTM upon purchase is to get the head into spec.. For like $70, you can't get a better value and 2huns really
respond to a tighter squish band and increased compression. Clay at
MunnRacing can set you up right. Oh, tell him your avg. altittude ridden.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
You forgot to mention that the 200cc's of the KTM are much more powerfull than the 200cc's on the KDX, but I'm not so sure how much more low end the KTM will have than the KDX.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On the 250 exc, some years have better low end than others.

I've ridden an '02 that did not have much low end but it just ripped up top.

The '05 250 exc has much stronger low end and is an excellent overall trail motor.

The most recent 200 I've ridden was an '03 and it was a blast and able to go very quick.

My personal preference is for the newer 250, but you can't go wrong with any of the newer KTM two strokes. Great bikes.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I don't think you can make a bad choice on this one. The 200 takes a little more clutch work than the other two. I personally like smaller bore bikes, but a lot of people don't like having to clutch a bike much.

ziptiedEXC

Apr 5, 2006
I have the 05' 250 EXC and my last bike was a 01' KDX 220. Not only will you get more low end, you will get more everything. You really can't compare the KDX to an EXC. THe KDX is a bulitproof play bike, while the EXC is a race bike.

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
I went from a '96 KDx to a '00 KTM300. more everywhere. better tractor on the bottom than the smaller 200's, and you can feel it pull in any gear. You can be lazy and ride two gears too high on the pilot jet and it will still pull you out of trouble. Or, you can get in the zone and make it rip so hard it's scary!

Love the '300.

Andrew

PS better change my username now ! :)

Senior C

Feb 27, 2006
QLD_KDX said:
I went from a '96 KDx to a '00 KTM300. more everywhere. better tractor on the bottom than the smaller 200's, and you can feel it pull in any gear. You can be lazy and ride two gears too high on the pilot jet and it will still pull you out of trouble. Or, you can get in the zone and make it rip so hard it's scary!

Love the '300.

Andrew

PS better change my username now ! :)

I agree 100%

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
I went from a 99 KDX 220 to a 03 EXC 200. The KTM 200 has a adjustable power valve (KTM 250 & 300 have it too). When I first got it, the power band was very explosive in the mid range. In about five minutes you can change the power band with the adjustable power valve. I have mine set for low end grunt, the mid range hit is gone and it still is a very fast bike and it is lighter than a KDX..............FUN FUN FUN ... :ride:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
tall1 said:
I went from a 99 KDX 220 to a 03 EXC 200. The KTM 200 has a adjustable power valve (KTM 250 & 300 have it too). When I first got it, the power band was very explosive in the mid range. In about five minutes you can change the power band with the adjustable power valve. I have mine set for low end grunt, the mid range hit is gone and it still is a very fast bike and it is lighter than a KDX..............FUN FUN FUN ... :ride:

Hey I just got my KTM250,, which way do you turn it to set it to reduce the hit.. Clockwise?

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
HiG4s said:
Hey I just got my KTM250,, which way do you turn it to set it to reduce the hit.. Clockwise?

Counter clockwise. The 250 is a little different than the 200. Check KTM talk forums for more information on your bike.
:)

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
91 KDX 250 to 05 EXC 300, I'm thrilled.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Well I have to add this in, i went from having a 96 and 99 kdx to a 96 360, which is much to handle, but I like it better than the kdx I had. Not to say there is something wrong with kdx, but this does more for me, just wish I could get a 200 or 250 newer exc...I am working on upgrading in the fall...but that is my

Top Bottom