theisel

Oct 3, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
20 years old, 217 lbs, 5'11, my sleep number is 49 and i like long walks on the beach.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
very
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
play around in the desert, do some open track days.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I've ridden a variety of street bikes. Im currently on an 05 R6, which i plan on selling before buying a dirt bike.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Probably not.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I will be doing all the work on the bike. I hear there is a lot but I'm not really intimidated by it.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Not really, i think my ideal bike would be an early 2000's 250cc 2 stroke. I like the yamahas and hondas, but im gonna buy whatever i can get the best deal on regardless of brand
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
i have all the dealers but i don't feel like getting ripped off by them. I plan on picking up a used bike from a private seller.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
between $1000-2000.
10) Do you live in California?
Thank god no
11) Your age?
20 (21 in feb)
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.

I like riding sport bikes on the street. I plan on trying this out for a change. looking for a 250, would also get a 450 if i find a good deal. would prefer a 2 stroke but i am unbiased to 4 stokes.

Please educate me :D

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
2 strokes are cheaper to maintain. You should be able to find a good 250 2t in that price range. I have a 2001 Kx250 and it is great so far. My neighbor has a 1996 Cr250 and has not had any issues with it in the 8 years he has had it. Another friend has a 2004 Yz250 and has had not issues. They all seem to be reliable bikes.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
A MX 2 stroke is easier to maintain than a high performance motocross 4 stroke, however nothing is easier to maintain than a Honda XR. However, an XR is a trail bike, not a good "track" bike. I would probably suggest a 250 2 stroke because, at 217, you may tire of a 125 quickly. Keep in mind that a 250 will be alot of power for someone with no experience. While its a good start, street experience doesnt exactly translate to dirt.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPEST BIKE!!!!!!!!

You will kick yourself in the arse. Buy the cleanest one you see. Condition is far more important than year. If you can find an older bike with little useage you'll be much better off than a newer bike with a ton of hours. Don't get all excited about go-fast/bling-bling bolt ons and such, they don't add value to a used bike. I always plan to rebuild the engine in any used bike I buy, even if the owner says it's fresh. A good close look and a good shake down should give you an idea of chassis condition. If the bike is dirty you might as well not even get out of the truck, if they guy can be bothered to wash it before he sells chances aren't good he didn't bother to maintain it.

And 49 is MY sleep number..........

Top Bottom