front axle stuck

zio

Mr. Atlas
Went riding Saturday, despite badly needing a new front tire. I can't get the axle out! I had all four pinch bolts out, a screw driver prying the right side (clutch side) open, and was banging on the axle with a hammer & socket. All it did was push the right fork leg out. The left side is free, and it's free all through the hub & spacer. It's just that fork leg clamp that won't let go. What could possibly be going on?

Yogurt

Subscriber
I would say libral use of WD-40, and a T-handle wrench, or something like a 8mm or 10mm socket, being used to hammer the thing out. Usually I use the T-handle with an 8mm socket on the end of it, to push the axle out, while hammering on the T-handle. Sounds like maybe you've already tried this. But might be the only option. Good luck!

biglou

See if you can "block" the lower fork leg that the axle is stuck in. ie: put it against something so it won't flex when you hit the axle with a mallet. Maybe a piece of 2x4 between it and a wall or a workbench or something. That will transfer much more energy to the axle and not let it get absorbed by the flexing fork leg.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
May want too try a little bit of heat.. Is the axle stuck inside the hub too?? If so, could possibly be bent..
Rick