Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
ConqSoft said:
Anyone? Anyone?

I have crashed very hard and never bent the disc. I would be concerned that mud and brush would lodge behind the guard. If anything I would look into a shark fin type rear disc guard.

ConqSoft

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Yeah, the 2004 XR400's come with a rear guard already. Thanks for the info. I may just skip front guards.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
ConqSoft said:
Yeah, the 2004 XR400's come with a rear guard already. Thanks for the info. I may just skip front guards.

So did the 2001, pretty much nothing has changed on these bikes for quite awhile, that's a good thing. I mean a real guard. That plastic gravel deflector doesn't look up to the task of protecting the disc against a stump or root when you slide down into a rut. The shark fin type guard is actually made of metal, it does not enclose the disc like the stock one.

The other thing I thought of today is a kiwi case saver. It seems every big XR with some hours on it seems to at one time or another thrown the chain. When this occurs the chain sucks forward and wedges up around the front sprocket. There is not enough room and the casting breaks. The casting that breaks is the main case, not cool. The kiwi case saver prevents the broken chain from getting forced into the case. It looks like a darn good idea.

Top Bottom