Front Brake Help Needed (for a KTM)

xERICx

Jan 31, 2003
here's what happened...

My front brake hose was leaking so I ordered a new one (its a '99 KTM 125sx). So I replace the hose and fill the master cylinder up with brake fluid. Next I try bleeding the brakes with the bleeder screw on the caliper. Pulling on the front brake lever a few times and so brake fluid comes out of the bleeder screw. The problem is there are no brakes!!!! None at all. Not even mushy. What could be wrong???

Hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated. There is a big race this weekend and I need my front brake.

CR-For-Ever

Feb 25, 2002
You have a hose and such hooked up on the bleeder screw correct?

Anyway it can just be a long process get yourself some clear host for that screw loosen it up and pump untill you don't see anymore air in that fluid if you have clear hose you'll see that air traveling in the host and out of your brake system.

I'd go to a auto parts store (Auto Zone) I picked up a little bleeder kit for $6 that came with some nice connections host and a bottle it was well worth the money to have everything I needed without hunting through the hardware store.

Bleeding brakes can be frustrating and anoying just keep pumping untill no air is in system make sure your fluid resovior is full also.

Good Luck,
Later

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If you have an empty line and caliper on the front of your dirt bike the amount of fluid being pushed by your master cyilinder is extremely small compared to the empty volume you are trying to fill. When you do pump the lever,open bleeder method you are looking at a couple hundred times not a couple of times. Patience is a virtue with that method.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
back bleeding is when you force the brake fluid up, from the bleeder valve to the master cylinder. Since air will always form a bubble at the highest point of your brake system it is a lot easier to push the air out of the top than try to force it out the bottom. I have never tried back bleeding so I dont know about the possible mess but it makes perfect sense.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
If you get really desperate (and pissed) suck on the end of the line from your caliper.

I am sure the fluid is poison. You may never be able to reproduce. But, my brakes work.

Here again, I dont recommend this. It does work. The stuff tastes like crap.....well, so they tell me.

Top Bottom