Front Brake Install

Jan 10, 2006
Putting on a front tire and need advice. What is the "trick" to open up the front brake caliper? I know that you can open the bleeder to relieve the pressure but on cars you can compress with clamps. Is there something that can be done without having to open valve and in turn bleed brakes?

Did search and did not find answer! :bang:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006

Why can't you compress it wih a clamp like you did on your car? All you need to do is push the caliper pistons back slightly into their bores, to allow more clearance to slip the pads over the rotor. Then pump them back up. It seems as if you already have the answer, but are overthinking it and looking for another way to get it done.

Jan 10, 2006
Not overthinking! Just did not want to force something that did not need to be forced and blow some seal out or something. Better to ask you guys than pay in $$ later. :)

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Use a flat blade screwdriver and separate the pads just enough to allow the disk to fit. Try to pry on the edges where there is no brake pad material. If you pry on the pad material, it will damage the pad surface.

Jan 10, 2006
The reason I needed the brake info was to get the wheel back on after a tube install. The local shop charged $34.50 ( half hour labor + tax ) to install a tube with the wheel off. That seems high. Is this install any more difficult than on a bicycle?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006

You are dealing with a signifcantly stiffer, more stubborn tire to have to seat, so yes it will be more difficult than on a bicycle, but that still seems high. I seem to remember paying less than $20 Cdn including a new tube, but its been a few years since I last paid a shop to do mine.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…