front brake pad installation problem....

XtremeAir125

Jul 5, 2001
i am in the process of changing the front brake pads. i have a honda and this is the first time changing the pads. i bought EBC pads and i can get the pads in, but i can't fit the rotor in. when i line up the rotor to fit it between the pads, it won't fit. i was thinking about taking sandpaper and sanding down one pad so the rotor can slide through. what seems to be the problem guys? thanks! :(

Uhhh...
Jun 16, 2001
Never had a problem with EBC pads (except for stopping the bike - they only work well with EBC discs). Are you sure you have the caliper fully back into the rubber shroud?

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
Part of the oil you had in the reservoir of your master cylinder went into the caliper to compensate for the wear of your last pair of pads. That mean that the pistons probably aren't fully retracted in the caliper. Take a screwdriver with a flat head and use it as a lever to push the pistons as far back into the caliper as you can. Then the new pads will fit.

If the pistons don't move at all, I suggest you to bleed your brake. Push the pistons when there's no oil left in the system, they will move easily.

david

Last edited:

XtremeAir125

Jul 5, 2001
KYHU- I took your advice and tried pushing the piston as far back as I could, no luck. So I bled the front brake to where there was no fluid in the reservoir and the piston moved back like you said! I got the brake pads onto the rotor and even bled the brakes. Thanks for you help bud!

Ryan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom