23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I've never been overly impressed with the outright braking power of the front brake on my '02 KDX. Although it will make enough power to lock the wheel in the dirt, it takes a pretty good pull on the lever to get there. After riding a GG300 last fall I remember being amazed at the front brake. Once you get used to it, I think a powerful brake is easier to control right at the edge of traction than a weaker one, where you are using so much more lever force.

Either way, I was resigned to not having that kind of power on the KDX. Then I got my son an '03 KDX and wow... while it is not quite as strong as the GG system it is night & day better than mine. What would explain the difference in 2 identical systems? I have bled until there is no blood left in the system. It improved the lever firmness, but really did not give much more power. Replaced the pads with DP pads, no noticeable improvement.

Could a rebuild of the M/C make a difference? That is where the hydraulic force is created, so perhaps there is a bit of leakage past the seals?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I am clueless as to why it would be doing that but can you maybe swap and change the various parts from yours and your sons bike until you find the culprit. My front wheel has no problem tucking out from under me if I grap to much brake though and its a 98..... Good luck mate.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
There could be several things. The condition of your rotor, the type and condition of the brake pads you are using, the brake fluid that you are using, possible leaks in the system, caliper seal condition.

I've noticed a difference in stopping power with different brake pad compounds but i think that my front brake works exactly as it should.

Your bikes are farely new so this is puzzling.

Top Bottom