Mar 10, 2007
Hello all tonight i went to open the front brake reservoir on my kdx and i discovered that one of the screws is totally rounded off. Any ideas on how i could get this screw out? Thanks

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
use a super magnet(just joking) same thing happened to me, thank god it was an engine support axle or something like that, but I could pull that out

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
The phillips part is rounded such that a screwdriver won't turn it? If that is the problem, go to Sears and get one of their extractors that you put in a drill on reverse and replace the screw with a new one.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The stock screws are made of butter, and really should not be tightened down much.

Once stripped, you can just use a plain old drill and a small bit. Hold the drill straight, and drill straight down into the head of the screw from the top. The head of the screw will weaken and spin off in a few seconds. You can then pull the reservoir cap off. Use pliars to back the rest of the screw out. Take it down to a hardware store and match the threads.

Of course, be careful not to get any metal shavings into the reservoir.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Use a Dremel with a small, nearly worn out cut off disc. Cut a straight slot in the screw, and use a straight blade screwdriver to remove it. You can usually do it without cutting a groove in the cover.

When you get new screws, get steel, and get allen heads. You won't have an issue again.

Rotor

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Impact drivers have always gotten brake reservoir screws out for me. But, I've never comletely rounded one. I replace all of my reservoir screws with stainless steel screws and put a dab of anti-seize on them. Stainless steel seems to be a little harder and less prone to rounding.

Oct 19, 2007
Rotorranch said:
Use a Dremel with a small, nearly worn out cut off disc. Cut a straight slot in the screw, and use a straight blade screwdriver to remove it. You can usually do it without cutting a groove in the cover.

When you get new screws, get steel, and get allen heads. You won't have an issue again.

Rotor

Thats what I was going to suggest!!
Has worked well for me in the past!

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Another thing that will work sometimes is a left hand drill bit. It will often grab a bite and back the screw out.

Left hand bits are a little hard to find, however. Snap-On has a set that are quality bits, although a bit expensive. :whoa:

Rotor

Last edited:

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
glad2ride said:
Get a hand impact driver. No need to break out the drill just yet.

I have had many come in stripped way beyond what the impact driver would remove. If you get them before they are stripped, the impact driver does fine.

Rotor

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I second the nail set and tap it around. Works for me.

Mar 10, 2007
I just wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions. My step dad had a craftsman extractor set, i used it and the screw came right out. Thanks again

dev

Nov 6, 2007
I had the same problem today, I used a hammer and chisel... having problems bleeding the brakes is the fluid supposed to drizzle out or squirt? cant seem to get the front brakes working now

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
squirt, put a clear hose on the bleed screw, and pump the brakes while keeping the reservoir filled. Put the other end of the hose in a small glass or bottle of brake fluid, once the tube is filled with fluid, any air bubbles will be pushed out into the brake fluid in the bottle. This will prevent any air from sucking back into the tubes and into your caliper. Another option is a feeder syringe from the local pet store and push fluid from the bottom up. Either way works. Tried both on my bike yesterday to bleed front and back. Front needs a MC rebuild, and the rear now has clean fluid, dirty mess of fluid came out and now the back brake is firm.

Also, on the screw, I have used both the dremmel method and hand-held impact driver with much success.

Top Bottom