Bezdelnik

Jun 14, 2001
Do you have a guard for your front disc? How many of you wish you would have had one? I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $$ to get a gaurd for my front disc. Not to many of them out there on the market that I have seen. E-Line sells one, kinda expensive. Most of my riding is trails and HS. :cool:

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Well I have the Devol disk guard on my XR4. Now I saw in last months Dirt Bike or rider that they feel they are worthless. (Taken with a grain of salt of course, I don't belive everything I read)

My outlook is after riding for a while and seeing all the dings and scratches that that the guard has, and the cost of a new front disk the $60 is good insurance.

BUT I don't ride a bunch of mud, I do ride a lot of rocks. That may be a decison point.

Rod

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i've got an acerbis 1 on my trusty ktm. it's made of plastic, so i doubt it would do much in the event of a serious rock hit.

i read the comments in db, too, & i'm sure they mean well, but i disagree. the cons to the guards are: they tend to collect mud & hold it in your brake/hub area; & it takes a few extra seconds (which can matter) to remove the wheel/work on the brake, etc. but they have 1 important benefit: ever blown a turn or gone off-trail to make a pass or "hot line" or miss a bottle neck & gotten a stick or brush caught b/t your front rotor & pad? it can make you stop in a BIG hurry & it can take a while to dig it out.

ps this might get moved to product reviews.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I do not currently run a disc guard, but with the number of puddles that my practice trails have I sometimes wish for one. What happens is when I blast and splash through a puddle the water and mud push the pads in ever so slightly and I lose the front brake for that split second entering the turn. Once the wet season is here I usually adapt to it and grab the brake after a puddle just to clean it, but every now and then I forget and it can get exciting!

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
I have the Acerbis disc guard and the main reason is to protect my enduro computer pick-up. It may not help much with a big rock hit, but it does deflect a lot of trail junk.

biker

Sep 22, 2000
I have the plastic Acerbis on the front of my XR and the Aluminum shark fin on the rear rotor. I'm not sure how much protection I get in the front but the rear gives alot of protection. The shark fin is all beat up.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I run the Acerbis on the front of the KTM, and I feel it's quite effective in the brush, in spite of what DB says. Also, how about those little tip-overs? Any kind of protection is better than nothing.:D

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I run the Yamaha GTY-R guard they make for my bike. It seems pretty tough. Pretty thick plastic. I ride in the winter and it helps keep mud out of my brakes.

Someone else mentioned that they keep the mud in. That has not been my experience. I also like that it protects my odo sensor as well.

mag

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
I'm the odd one of the bunch, I always remove them if they come stock on a bike. Just not my gig, I guess. I've only had a disc problem once, and that time the disc took such a side hit that no flimsy plastic guard would have helped.

Bezdelnik

Jun 14, 2001
I found a heavy duty one with E-Line (Carbon Fiber). The only problem is that the price is pretty heavy also. Wasn't sure if one would need that much protection or just go with one of the lighter plastic ones.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
If you ride pretty seriously in a rocky invironment then you'd probably want the heavier-duty carbon guard. Otherwise I think the plastic does a good job of protecting computer pick-ups and keeping the sticks out of your caliper. I'm sure they also help to keep your rotor from getting nicked and wearing your pads prematurely.

Top Bottom