Front end feels loose, what to do?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I recently tried out a buddy's '95 KDX200 and I was amazed how tight the front end felt. He had a steering damper and a rig where the barkbusters were attached to the front forks (hey dixie, you out there?), and that front end was so solid, I couldn't believe how sloppy my "new" bike felt.

I thought all bikes would feel the same until I actually tried another one; man, I had no idea a bike could steer like that.

What other mods should I consider to make the front of my '03 feel solid? Would the steering damper alone get me "there"?

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Stiffer fork springs and loose the stock front tire. I have xr400 fork springs and love them. I cant hardly stand to ride my brothers bike with the stock springs because it feels like a slug. I currently have a maxxis sure cross tire and it is alot better than the stock one. As for the damper i have know idea. Just wondering has anyone ever tried an src front fork brace? My dads xr has one on it but I'm not sure if it helped on his bike or not because I'v never rode it without it.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I used to thing that the dampers were all myth. They are not.

There is no comparrison - it is very much a night and day difference.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There are 3 things every offroad bikes:

1) Proper Jetting
2) Suspension set up for the rider & conditions
3) A steering damper

I am a HUGE fan of steering dampers. They make the bike feel much better, so you ride with more confidence, whether it is slow and rocky or high speed whoops.

You will also be able to 'save' lots of crashes, so think of it as a safety device. The last time my personal bike did not have a damper, I broke my collar bone.

Everytime I swap bikes with someone who doesn't have a damper, it is obvious how much difference it make.

Get a damper! You can probably swap it to your next bike, too, unlike most other mods that don't do as much but cost almost as much $$$.

Oh yea, a good front tire (like a Michelin S12) helps, too.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Try a WER, but buy a Scotts.

Configure it (your Scotts) for a fender mount like the WER and you'll be all set.

No, I don't have a Scotts....yet. I'm workin' on it!! ;)

Top Bottom