sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
just got a 2003 kx125 for a good price and the jug needs plated, I really don't think I'm going to rebuild it.

I am on the fence about wether to swap the front end to my kdx or just start working on the kx frame to put the kdx engine into..

the only down side of the kx I think is the small tank and 19" rear wheel I would have to get a number plate tank and too what do I do with the beloved kdx carcuss?? :(

the down side of putting the kx front end on the kdx is that the kdx would be heavier than the hybrid and I would still be sitting "in" the kdx where as the kx has a narrower and more availible forward area on the seat.

then again I would kinda like to see what the kx125 handles like before I start cutting things up wich mean I would have to fix the 125 engine

I feel like I have painted myself into a corner already

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
hybrid, no question! That's a good year for a hybrid build, and you can put it together without too much trouble. It will be WAY worth it. As for the left over KDX bits, sell them off on fleaby to recoup some money spent on the kx125 and conversion.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah its kinda what I wanted to do....get rid of my blaster, old rm125 do the swap and end up with this:

2003 kxd200
efm auto clutch
left hand rear brake
scotts stablizer
18" rear w/ d803 trails tire

might be a pretty good woods bike for an old guy (feeling old) to zip around on

man I wish I found this back in december ...I don't want to get into to this right now

Hey JD we are planning to go to coal creek TN first week in june.....

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That sounds like one really sweet woods weapon! I think you can use your KDX rear wheel for your kx conversion, if not you can at least use the rim off the KDX and lace it up to the kx hub. Have you checked the hybrid section over at kdxrider? Lots of good info there. I'm constantly keeping eyes open for a kx roller, but no luck yet. At least not at the times when I might actually have the funds to pick one up. I'm thinking that in a couple years we'll be able to get kx250f rollers a dime a dozen, when people start realizing the engine rebuild is gonna cost more than the book value of the bike, lol. It'd be pretty sweet to rock a kdx engine in a kx250f frame.

Keep me posted on Coal Creek. Me and a half dozen of my buddies are wanting to hit that spot this spring or early summer. Might wait until fall to head back up to hatfield. I'm running in the brushy mtn #1 nchsa hare scramble on may 2nd, so that should be fun too!

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
If it was me, I would go for the fork conversion. Part of the reason I love the KDX is the fit and comfort on long trail rides. It is just way more comfortable than any modern MX bike IMO.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That's well and good, but the suspension and frame components on the KDX did not receive an update since 1995! 125's are very comfortable machines if you fit a soft seat, and to me, ergonomically more comfortable that the KDX.

If you like to ride lazy and slow all the time, then yes, you're probably better off with the KDX frame and suspension. If you'd like to work on getting faster or more aggressive, the kx125 will be leaps and bounds beyond what the KDX can do.

I def don't want to come off sounding like I'm ragging on the KDX. I love the KDX as a great trail bike. Updated ergonomics and suspension is never a bad thing though.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah and too I would be taking the heart of the kdx with me...the engine....and that is IMO the only reason the kdx is so loved. I like the way it handles in the tight slow stuff too and hope that the kxd will be better. The biggest problem is when you want to get over 45mph things start to get a little wiggely

JD the kdx rear wheel will fit the kx125 2002 and back, the axles are bigger in the 2003-up...I'm thinking since I have both the kdx and the kx I can measure the O.D/ I.D of the bearings and see if any are made with the I.D of the kx and O.D of the kdx

or better yet just make or buy a shim collar that fits the kdx axle to the bigger I.D of the swinger.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah ut seems sometimes folks don't think of crap like this...

one thing I forgot was the axle spacer between the bearings in the hub

Unlike you JD i have no friends that weld and that is the biggest challange of the hybrid to me

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Ah yeah. There's a few builds on kdxrider where welding was done by a shop. Do you have the tools you would need to make the little mounting tabs? If you can make them and mark where they need to go any shop can weld them on in short order. The beauty of a steel frame! If not that, you could make templates of the mount tabs from cardboard and have the same shop make/weld the mounts for you.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
julien_d said:
...If you like to ride lazy and slow all the time, then yes, you're probably better off with the KDX frame and suspension...
Yeah, Jeff Fredette is slow as hell! :nener:

BTW, I'm no where near the fastest out there but I ride hard all the time and my KDX hasn't let me down yet.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
lol, touchy much? Believe me, I love the kdx. I absolutely LOVE it. The powerplant is 2nd to none for woods riding, and the bike is very comfortable and surprisingly nimble. With plenty of suspension and engine work poured in, it was a very competitive machine. Jeff Fredette proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt. FWIW though, Fredette hasn't been racing on a KDX for a quite a long time now. The more modern kx/klx chassis are a superior platform to build on, it's as simple as that. What could be better than the marriage of a modern chassis and suspension with the legendary KDX engine??

tommie d

Sep 26, 2008
julien_d said:
lol, touchy much? Believe me, I love the kdx. I absolutely LOVE it. The powerplant is 2nd to none for woods riding, and the bike is very comfortable and surprisingly nimble. With plenty of suspension and engine work poured in, it was a very competitive machine. Jeff Fredette proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt. FWIW though, Fredette hasn't been racing on a KDX for a quite a long time now. The more modern kx/klx chassis are a superior platform to build on, it's as simple as that. What could be better than the marriage of a modern chassis and suspension with the legendary KDX engine??

Yes, he didn't start riding that KLX450 until 2007, Such a long time ago. ;)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'm not sure, but many people have done it.

I'm diggin all the love for the kdx, really I am. It's all about personal preference and what works better for you though. If the dated KDX was still top dog Fredette would probably still be riding one. The date that he switched is really irrelevant.

I'm not telling everyone that they should dump their KDX because it's an outdated POS. We all know beyond a doubt that this is not true. The KDX is an amazing bike for what it is. For me PERSONALLY though, my ideal woods bike is going to be a kdx engine fitted to a modern chassis. kdx250 engine on kx250 frame, or kdx200/220 on kx125.

I'm too old and tired to ever need more power than the KDX has to offer, but when I get some seat time on a nice 125 or KTM200 I am amazed how much more comfortable I am going really fast, or handling really tight sections. It's true, the newer MX bikes or even enduro machines are not up to the comfort level of the KDX, but that's easily fixed with suspension and a wide soft seat from EE.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
is ee enduro engineering?

as far as the fredette thing goes I think money has alot to do with it face it there is alot more market for klx 450 parts since they are the "current rave" also he may be receiving money and sponership from somewhere maybee kawasaki.. the last kdx was made and selling at the dealers in 2006 right???

JD if I'm thinking right your in IT support...times change and users "upgrade" to the lattest software and hardware, kinda keeps thing going right. Fredette does this stuff for a living and the kdx was not a good bussiness plan any longer so He diversified but thankfully has kept some of his kdx products availible to us die hards

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
From what I understand, from reading an interview with JF, it was Kawasaki that wanted him on a KLX, not Jeff himself. The KDX was still just as competitive as it had been in previous years. However, he is sponsored by Kawasaki, they wanted him on the KLX, the sponsors pay the bills, so, he now rides a KLX.

Anyways, I do love the KDX. The fit works for me and the comfort is a huge bonus IMO. Now, I might build a hybrid myself some day just for racing HS's, GP's, and such if the right donor bike comes along.

I think it really comes down to what you want to do with the bike. Racing GP's and hitting the MX and the hybrid would be the better choice. Doing 8 hour trail days on gnarly singletrack and the KDX is the better choice IMO. I'm more in the second scenario so my choice is obvious for me. Ofcourse, YMMV, IMO, and just my .02! :nod:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well ss109 the right bike did come along ..just got the 125 engine out and the sub frame removed from my $450 donor, I dont know if I'm going to go nuts and powder coat and all.. I'm not really all that flashy, but the list I provided in the page one post is what I'm after basically in the order I posted it too

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Spend some time in the hybrid section at kdxrider.net. Check out some of the builds, and read some of the ride reports. That should be all the convincing anyone would need.

I'll concede the point for Fredette. Sounds right along the lines of all the other pro's moving to 4t's. Gotta do what the money folks want you to do, however unfortunate.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I sold my KLX450R and replaced it with a KDX200. The only way to get me back would be if I took up desert racing. No one is paying me to ride anything and so I have made my choice. Go the KDX!

Sounds like the hybrid will be way cool!

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You can always donate the 125 to me so you can follow a hybrid build, lol!

I just found a 97 in lousville for $250. I'm awfully tempted, but probably will hold out for a 2000+.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
julien_d said:
I just found a 97 in lousville for $250.
You are just killing me, man! Do you know hard it is to find any cheap bikes for parts here in AZ? :bang: Hey, do you want to buy it and ship me the front end? :rotfl:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
JD you mean you got one now???

great... now I feel like a lazy piece of crap cuz you'll have yours done in like 3 weeks

Top Bottom