Front Fork Plastic Covers - Factory Service Manuals

Mark W

May 12, 2004
Does anyoe remove the front fork acordian style plastic covers? Other than protection from muck, do they serve another purpose? Why are they o the KDX and not on motocross bikes?

May sound like stupid questions, but still a new to the world of dirtbiking and was just wondering the other day.

Finally getting somewhat comfortable on the bike after my initial aprehension. Sure is way more bike than I rode when I was a little shaver. Haven't been in third gear for more than a second or two - this will change. Popped a wheelie inadvertantly the other night and gave me pause (was a good feeling however). I was following my Son around on his KLX110 and he was pulling away from me - man they learn quickly.

Any other suggestions for getting the factory service manual from? repairmanual.com is backordered and who knows how long it may take for them to clear their backorder?

Mark W

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Fork boots can be replaced with Seal Savers. Some people don't like them but I love 'em. Most Motocross bikes have upside down forks, stock KDX's do not. As for the factory manual I dont know sorry. You must change your front springs if you havent already.

Mark W

May 12, 2004
With what springs?

I'm 5'11" or so and weight about 195 lbs. How hard is it to do this and will I need a manual to do so?

Upside down forks refers to the bigger diameter being on the bottom I assume (for lack of a better explanatio). Why do it one way or the other? What re the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other?

Thanks -

I'll search the site as well

Mark W

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Spring recommendations will vary. Proper selection varies with rider preference and type of riding done. For trail riding, 195# will put you in the .42kg/mm range.

You can run your stats thru the RaceTech website and get their rec. They are usually on the high side.

re: USD forks and '..bigger diameter being on the bottom ..'

Just backwards. The KDX oem forks have the bigger diameter on the bottom. Those are usually called 'conventional' forks. USD, or 'Up-Side-Down' forks have the larger diameter on the TOP.

A USD setup will have about zero underhang (distance fork extends below the front axle). After you get the oem KDX forks stuck in a couple of ruts you'll understand how that can be a big deal.

USD forks are generally just better. They ('cuz of the racing application) have been subjected to a higher degree of refinement than conventional forks. KDX oem forks do not have rebound control (clickers), USD forks do (well any I've seen...maybe some dont'). You can put rebound adjustment in KDX forks (Jeremy @ MX-Tech does it), but it's not cheap. I've read references to USD forks being somewhat stronger due to things like a larger clamping area in the triple clamp/top clamp area. I guess. The downtubes of conventional forks are steel and the valving assembly is aluminum. I know there are problems with some USD forks and 'stiction' just because the valving body is in the clamps.

The fork underhang is a huge deal, imo. The KDX KYBs (fork mfg.) are something close to 4"!!! YeoW!!

**edit**
BTW, while the seals on top of the oil seals are dust seals, they sure work much better with less dust to deal with.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you're thinking of taking the covers off....don't. That would be a not-smart thing to do. (read: stoopid) ;)

re: '94 KDX USD forks
I ain't never seen a '94, neither! I knew I'd best put that caveat in there! ;)

Last edited:

Mark W

May 12, 2004
Manuals

I called the dealer who sold me my Sons bike and he tried to sell me a Clymer manual (which deosn't exist for a 2002 KDX220). Then said he could order the factory manual for me and it would only cost $60 for one and $25 for the supplemental KDX220 part. Considering I have seen them at the place mentioned earlier for $29 and $9.99, I was just trying to save some bucks.

I'm thinking I should probably try another Kawasaki dealer who may know a little more. The part guys where I bought my sons bike don't seem all the up on the KDX bike. They know the KLX110 but not mine.

Thanks for the info.

Mark W

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Your Kawi dealer doesn't know what to order or is trying to scalp you. I got my 200 shop manual from the local Kawi dealer for ~$30. I've found that Kawi parts take about a week for special orders so buying from ronayers.com may be just as fast.

Best,
Greg

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
OK CC I'll eat my seal savers now... :laugh: I knew those rubber springy things served a purpose for something. OOPS. :nener:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Hopefully that's the last time you ever give that stealer (dealer) any of your business. I always hate it when I know more than the "expert" behind the counter that's trying to help (hose) me with a line of BS. It's insulting. There's a dealer in my area that has a parts dept. that never answers their phone. You just get a voice mail message..." we'll call you back when we get around to it, blah blah blah". I've told them that I refuse to do business that way and always do my business elsewhere when I get their voice mail. I know It's costing them alot of $$ to give that type (lack) of service. I own 2 businesses and my philosophy is to never let a business problem become a customer problem. Oh well, I guess they have money (and customers) to burn.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…