front fork sag setting

arossitt

Apr 22, 2001
If small adjustments in fork height have such an impact on handeling and stability then why is fork sag not given the same concern as rear suspension sag.Many times I have seen bikes that have way excessive sag due to incorrect springs which could be corrected by using preload spacers if the sag is close to the recomended setting.If anyone has any info on this subject please feal free to reply

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Front sag is hard to measure due to fork stiction but it is as important as the rear.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Marcus,
I've started to to attermpt at looking at it by doing an average.. The set-up advantage is posibly worth the hassel..

Br,
Jer

arossitt

Apr 22, 2001
It would seem that no one has any idea's concerning front end sag.Has anyone got measurements as far as sag goes.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have read in one of my parts ordering books that sag should be a certain percentage of the full travel. I can't remember what the percentage is but I think it is something like 5-10% for bike weight and then 25% for bike and rider wieght. With that type information you should be able to figure out the proper ride height and proper springs for your wieght. And I believe that there is a certain percentage between push down and let come up to rest and lift up and let settle to rest so that you should look for friction /binding problems.
But of course all is open to what the rider wants.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
On the Gas Gas White Power suggests front sag (bike weight only) to be within a 25 - 40mm range and to adjust the preload if needed. Ohlins, on the other hand, says 30mm +/- 10mm and to use their standard preload and adjust spring rate to fall within the range. Mine measures 35mm w/ half a tank of gas.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think most poeple go for the spring rate supplied by the tuner and between 5 and 10mm of preload.The bike that breaks this rule seems to be the KTM RFS as that seems to work well with 15mm of preload from what ive been told.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…