KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
In regards to me having one collapse, No... but I'm pretty sure it was CC that had one collapse. I'm not 100% sure and I'm not dissing Eibach springs so I apologize if my comments have offended anyone. I can just recall reading about one collapsing.

*EDIT*

canyncarvr said:
The information I listed came from jeremy wilkey of mx-tech.

My knowledge of the spring making process is zip.point. I had an eibach spring failure (collapse) that led to the conversation I had with mr. wilkey regarding aftermarket spring quality (cold) vs: oem (hot).

He said coldwound (most if not all aftermarket) springs be bad...oem springs (hotwound) be good.

I've looked briefly at the mx-tech site for some such note. Didn't find it.

A google search turn up:

from: http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cach...2010.doc+spring+hot+cold+wound&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I'd suppose from that simple statement that mr. wilkey has determined that the properties he is looking for in a bike fork spring are better supplied by a hotwound spring.

roland: Check the listed link and you'll read exactly what you said (relieving stress, baking, residual stresses and such).

My memory served me well, for once.

Last edited:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Sorry if I mislead anyone with my previous post. I will rephrase what I was trying to say. The main points I looked for when buying springs were; length, rate, price, availability, location, whether they were genuine honda and whether they were HOT WOUND. The fact that a spring is hot wound appealed to me more than cold wound ones due to that they have been known to fail amounst other reasons. Hope this makes abit more sense. Cheers Trev

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
sorry i havent responded to jason on a ride report but it started raining around here and hasent quit infact it was snowing earlier when i looked out the window. i will post somewhere when i get a chance to go ride. one more question on the factory fill of these forks (mabey this is part of the reason it would pack down) the oil (factory) on the springs when i pulled them out was like warm honey. I bought some 5w fork oil to adjust my oil height and it apppeared much thinner. the temp of my bike setting in the garage was probably between 50f and 60f. me and my brother both think that was not nearly cool enough to justify the thickness of the oil. its even colder now mabey ill go out and look at the new oil now it has been there for a couple days and cooled down too.(i mean in the bottle)

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
oh yeah my race tech sping set only cost me 70$ but my bro. got me a pretty good deal through his work. but it seems he told me list was still only like 90 something.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Thats what I was thinking i tried to get my bro. to help me but he said get the springs in and give it a ride well go from there. I whined at him and he said why put new oil in there for it to sit over the winter. I then got an idea because he mentioned his bike was due and he has experience doing all this plus the proper tools. I made him promise (ive never done a rear shock it doesnt seem very hard) that come spring we would both tear down our bikes susp. and he would show me the ins and outs. now im going to hold him to this and if i learn anything special ill let you all know. for now before it sits much longer im waiting for a long enough break in the weather to get a ride in while i have a fresh memory for before and after comparison. I will get another ride in even if it has to be in the snow!

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
matt-itude said:
I whined at him and he said why put new oil in there for it to sit over the winter.

What difference does it make? Now or in the spring? I would rather be ready for a nice day then think....Durn! I shoulda changed out my fork oil.... Does something happen to oil if it sits? :think:

Top Bottom