cozs

Aug 29, 2001
Hi board,

I have a 1989 KDX 200. I dont really like the looks of the dust covers on my forks. If removed, will it harm the forks? Are the shocks sealed enough to handle the dust/dirt?

Thanks

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
I would leave 'em on. I have a feeling taking them off would have a negative effect on the lifespan of your seals and wipers.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about them? Try changing colors to black or something to see how you like that look. The blue ones on mine look fine (i think, anyway!).

But yah, I would leave them on.

Dave

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
Did they have boots or rubber covers in 89. The down side of boots is they rip very easily and if you do not watch out dirt will ruin the seals. Both are available for your bike but don't run it with out some type of protection.

cozs

Aug 29, 2001
I'm looking to make the bike look more moto-cross. I dont want to buy a moto-cross bike either. I took the light off and put a number plate on it and Im looking to change the rear fender to a KX style fender. Any suggestions on what to do with the boot? Is a rubber cover more sleek looking?

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by cozs
I'm looking to make the bike look more moto-cross.

I actually had to check your profile to see your birthday:confused: as most people who would do this would be 15 year old students. But hey, more power to ya! Personally, i would never remove my boots to make my bike 'look more' anything. They're there for a reason, so I still say stick with em!

Dave

cozs

Aug 29, 2001
caNUCKLEHEAD

thanks for your very informative insight!! People have their own preferences as you may or may not know. It takes a 15 year old to respond the way you did!!

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
Cozs, no offence was intended. I've just found some of our younger members sometimes ask questions like that trying to make their bike look cooler or like an MX bike for their friends (a bit of an overgeneralization, granted).

Again, if you like the way it looks without dust boots, by all means go ahead. But in my OPINION, I wouldn't run the bike without em.

I also see you're new here, so welcome to DRN!

Dave

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
Ditto what Strach said. I have an 89 200 and I run the fork brace and there is a replacement protector and wiper in the kit to replace the boots. I have a pic of my bike on readers rides on Just KDX. It shows the front pretty good so you can see what the SRC set up looks like. (sorry, I don't know how to post a pic) It is the 6th bike down on page 8.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/[/URL]
Hope this works,

Brenda

Top Bottom