front number plate/headlight alternatives?

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Last weekend I broke my oem front number plate of my '01 200 as result of a nasty little crash. Even at discount the dealer prices for a new oem plate scared me. All I need is the shell. Are there any aftermarket shells made to fit my '01 200? I'd really like to keep my headlight instead of a mx plate. Which aftermarket fits best? Any ideas appreciated.
Ronnie

sj

Dec 19, 1999
a buddy of mine mashed his and bought a UFO model.Looks good seems to fit fine and definetly cheaper than oem

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
I bought a Ghibli (UFO I think) headlight a while back...it's still sitting on my workbench. The mounting straps are intended for inverted forks, so the light bounces around on conventionals. I know Hebo straps work, but I'm not sure if anyone elses do. I'm using an Elba headlight right now, and my bike looks like it's straight out of the 80's. I know the Elba II is a little more modern looking, but I don't know about fit on it (guessing same as Elba).

Neilpryde

Jun 29, 2001
umm i was wonderin if anyone was givin away/sellin an old race plate????? niot alite but a race plate liek to put ur rave number on. if so plz email or private message me plz
cheers

You might want to try out the spell check option?

Last edited by a moderator:

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
neil, you can get a real cheap one down at your local bike shop, look for the brand name 'eliminator'. they do the job and they're less than ten bucks:D

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Are there any aftermarket shells made to fit my '01 200?

Yep, all sorts. If 'fit' means can you bugger one on??

Maier (sp?) makes a KDX look-a-like. Has a square type lens. Acerbis and UFO and others make units that strap on..not bolt on. Those are usually 2-light (round ones) units.

Basically, pick one you like.

BUT...be aware that many of them will require you to purchase/rewind your existing lighting coil. The stock KDX is good for 45watts. That's a 35W front and a 10W rear. Put a dual Acerbis on a KDX that has a couple of 35 watters..and it will be very dim. Effectively useless as a headlamp.

Also, some units have no baffle on the back of the lamps. The light off the bulbs into your face in the dark makes it hard to see. Make sure the unit you buy comes with some sort of guard to block the light from the rear of the shell.

If the shell you really really like doesn't have a baffle..you can take the bulbs out and paint the backside of them. That works on my riding buddy's bike.

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
I too am looking for a new headlight shell after I put my 92 KDX through a hedge on a HS at the weekend. Maier seems to be the cheapest at $30 for just a shell to fit the original light. Does anyone have a view on the quality / colour match as I seem to remember negative comments in the past. I would appreciate any feedback as I am in the UK so viewing before order is not an option, Thanks in advance.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
As Scrambler stated the UFO is made for inverted forks but if you remove the top 2 straps and install the rubber grommets out of the stock head light. It will bolt upto the stock hardware.

Top Bottom