fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I ve noticed a black streak down the middle of my front rotor about 1 cm wide. It goes around the whole circumference of the rotor right in the center. I replaced the pads with EBC, but the streak seemed to got darker in color since replacing them.
It feels just as smooth as the rest of the rotor when I rub my finger across it but Im worried somthing isn't right. I tried contact cleaner to try to clean it off but it will not come off. I cant tell any difference in braking power so, everything seems to be working fine. Is my rotor damaged and in need of replacing?
Any info is greatly apreciated

BTW, the streak is on both sides of the rotor.

Last edited:

headbanger

May 7, 2000
My guess is that you had mud stuck in the split line which runs across the center of some pads. And that caused the rotor to get very hot and discolor.
My old stock pads had that problem. I have replaced them with a set of DP pads which don't have the groove.
Good Luck
Headbanger

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
But is the streaking in the centre on the disc on the OTHER side or both edges?

When disc rotors warp, the metal gets too hot & expands, either they get a buckle in them or the outside gets bigger than the inside they can ‘cone’ - the outside moves to the left or right. This will flex somewhat. Check the rotor is flat with a straight edge to be sure.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by David Trustrum
But is the streaking in the centre on the disc on the OTHER side or both edges?

The streak is on both sides (surfaces) of the rotor, right in the center. Inside (wheel side), outside (fork).
Also, when I went riding today, they were squeling (sp?) a little bit when applied lightly. Never used to do that:think

Top Bottom