TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Is this 1990 KDX 200 supposed to have Phillips Machine Screws holding the Front rotors onto the hubs?

I believe I'm going to need an impact driver to be able to remove them. By hand seems just impossible. I'm fearing the screw heads themselves are going to become messed-up in the process... so I want to have new replacements on hand before I event attempt the extract these old ones. That's why I'm asking the question of whether these are supposed to be Phillips-Head screws. I've only ever seen Allen bolts on rotors.

IMG_2511.jpg

Since I'm having to tear-down so much of this bike... I've been cleaning like crazy and removing dirt and rust wherever I can.

On the rear brake rotor I used a rotary wirebrush to remove the rust on the center part of the rotor that doesn't get touched by the brake pads. I wanted to do the inner side of the rotor as well so the job doesn't look all half-assed.. but once again... I was faced with bolts (this time Allen bolts) which didn't wanna come out and felt like they were gonna strip the heads if I tried any harder. :ugg:

Got the fork tubes all the way out. Scared the piss outta myself too... already had the rear wheel out... when I removed the front wheel from the forks... the bike wanted to kinda nose-dive and teeter-totter over on the bike stand... :yikes: Thankfully I caught her sayin' "Oh NO YOU DON'T B!TCH!". So got the forks out now. Now just gotta get my hands on a Service Manual... or at least the manual pages regarding installing Fork Oil & Dust seals. Christmas is coming up... anyone feel like scanning that section and creating a PDF they can send via email??

IMG_2510.jpg

I started all this because I needed to replacethe fork seals... and I needed to replace the Carb Intake Boot. and figured while I was at it I'd clean-out the carb.. write-down the jet sizes and install the infamous Boyesen Power Reeds!

IMG_2524.jpg

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Looks like you're havin fun! I don't know if it came w/phillips screws on there, but they most likely have lock-tight on them heat em up a bit then hit em with an impact driver.

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
You are doing great, Joe has the exact fix on the screw issue, one note on heat try to keep the heat below the boiling point of water as temps above that can locally change the temper of the alloy hub. (not a huge deal unless you are landing big jumps) also don't forget to lube the steering head while you are apart.

D

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
:ugg: Wasn't going to tear into the steering head... but sheesh.... I mean... What the Hell... right? I guess better safe than sorry. Man.... at this rate it'll be St. Patrick's Day again (my birthday!) before I get to ride and unleash a massive ball of pent-up aggression.

RE: Heating up the screws.. picked-up a neat, cheap Heat-Gun at Harbor Freight... so that'll do the trick just fine I suppose.. without much fear of getting the heat where I don't want it.

Now I gotta go back to HArbor Freight and find an Impact Driver... yay. (NOT!)

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
TheGDog said:
So got the forks out now. Now just gotta get my hands on a Service Manual... or at least the manual pages regarding installing Fork Oil & Dust seals. Christmas is coming up... anyone feel like scanning that section and creating a PDF they can send via email??

Pleasey-Please!!! :nod:

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
Sorry, I don't have a 1990 so I can't speak with authority, but a quick look on www.ronayers.com shows that a 1992 model uses what looks like phillips bolts like yours:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0...kdx200_e4.cfm?man=ka&groupid=4830&parent=4730

Unfortunately ronayers.com parts fiche does not go back earlier than 1992, so it doesn't answer your question directly, but it does suggest that at least some kdx200's of that era used phillips bolts to mount the front rotor. Maybe a call to your local kawi dealer will be helpful, since you're going to replace those bolts anyway.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
:ugg: I'm starting to think I'll just leave the rotors alone now. I just wanted it to be prettied up on both sides. But it's like every little thing is turning into 3 more new things as I get into this particular bike.

Rather than pop for rotor bolts... I think I'm gonna instead also pickup replacement brake pads for the rear. That choice makes more sense for now.

and besides... who knows what kinda fun is waiting for me when I go to put the calipers back on and drain - fill- bleed both sides again... I may find the mushy "feeling like it has a bubble in the line" feeling of the front brake could be because of something even whackier like the brake hose being old and expanding too much under pressure... or who knows what the heck else I'm gonna smack into with this thing.

As of right now... the have-tos are:
==========================
Install the new fork seals.
clean-out that crap in the intake port.
get new stiff springs for both ends.
Also need a new bottom-out bumper cushion on the rear shock.

I had talked myself out of powder-coating the frame... but now I dunno.... since I have to tear so far into it now... I just may bite the bullet.... er... wallet... and do that too.

Anybody here in OC know where I could possibly get my swingarm polished for cheap? Hmm.. wait a minute... I could probably have that powder-coated too huh? They might actually end up being cheaper.

Ah well... Christmas is coming up anyway.... right? "Gary Christmas" to me!

Top Bottom