scott brown

Jun 2, 2002
i recently had to replace the sprockets on my 2002 300 exc. the dealer said it came stock with a 13 tooth front but mine came with a 14 tooth sprocket. i stayed with the 14 as i thought the 13 would cause too much wheel spin. i was wondering how many guys got 13 tooh sprockets on their bikes and if they liked it?

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
Stock is 14. I changed my '99 300EXC to a 13 front and was very happy with it. I changed over my '02 300EXC to a 13 tooth front the day that I bought it. As a result I hardly ever use first gear but 2nd and third are so much sweeter, at least from my perspective.

I have seen some posts about the smaller front sprocket rubbing the swingarm protector down to the aluminum prematurely. I checked mine regularly and never had a problem in over 3 years.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Have used both I found with 14 tooth you have wider spacing between gear changes more rev out in 3rd and 4th, 5th about 15kms more top end speed slightly longer range cause you rev less and the power feeds on smoother for woods work and much less wheel spin. Less wheelspin more drive...I even think it climbs hills better witha 14. I used the 13 when I first got back into riding so I didn't stall so much in the tight stuff. Once I got better and went back to a 14 I wouldn't go back down.

Top Bottom