DevilYZ250

Sep 10, 2004
I know everyone talks about "rider sag", and I have a YZ250 2004, I set up the rear suspension and it seems to be okay, But my question is, is there any "right" way to set up the front suspension, is it done by weight?? my bike likes to "push" out of turns. What should I look for on how to know when you have good suspension for you the rider? It just seems really stiff, or maybe that's how it's supposed to be, I am new at this stuff, so I appologize if I sound like a complete fool.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Suspension setup is influenced by weight and also type/style of riding, say woods versus MX. Usually, the stock setup is geared towards 175 lb rider doing MX.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
DevilYZ250,

Try raising the forks in the clamps 5-10mm. It will significantly increase your cornering ability.

There are a million factors that come into play when setting up proper suspension. Do a search in the "suspension Q&A forum".

DevilYZ250

Sep 10, 2004
what does raising the forks in the clamps do? and also I went about 2 clicks down on the top and bottom of my forks, but I don't feel much difference. Should I go more, or just leave it alone?

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Raising the forks lowers the height of the front end by 5-10 mm. This transfers more of the "neutral" weight of the bike FORWARD. More weight forward increases traction and turning ability. I've never actually tried it, but I imagine 5-10mm makes a pretty big difference.

Micah

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I agree with the fork tube height...try running cap 5-8mm above clamp. Suspension clickers can do your fine-tuning. On the fork, if you can, go a little lighter on comp. clicker, or at least play with slowing reb. damping. This will hold front-end farther down in stroke, make the front-end stick better and settle in. Rear susp. balance will effect front-end too. Speeding-up rear rebound a click or so will make bike put more weight on front-end, and steepen head-angle. On my RM, I work with clickers to create stability...your YZ kind of needs the opposite.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I agree with the fork height also. I moved my 03 yz up in the clamps to improve handling. It effectively changes the angle of the tube and the weight distribution of the bike. If you do this, make sure and measure \ adjust the sag afterwards, as it may change.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Micah,

You should really try raising the forks if you feel like your cornering is bad (pushing, washing out). You wouldn't think it, but it makes a BIG difference IMO.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I went to do the fork thing but the two bolts on the bottom clamp on the right side will not come loose. I tryed every thing I have but I cant get it. I think the last guy must have used a impact driver or something. All the other ones came out pretty easy though. I tryed three ratchets and the one way bearing or w/e is in it slipped. I try a wrench but the only one that is 12mm that I have is very very low quality and was not very percision, and was alittle too big, maybe 13mm or so. Yes the bolts are 12mm. Of course, all my other wrenches are pretty high quality :bang: . I WD-40'd it, and tryed vice grips, but the vice grips just scraped it up. So anyone have a idea on how to get it out? I dont have any air tools or a electric impact driver, and my drill isnt strong enuf.

Thanks!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Sounds more like a case of the bolts are frozen, than over tightened. Be careful here because they could snap off. If soaking in wd-40 doesnt help, then try heat to the clamp around the bolts, not the bolts themselves. The idea here is to get the aluminum to expand and release the bolts, so dont heat the bolts. Sometimes tapping sharply on the bolt heads, or around the thread area, can help break them loose. Also get rid of those cheap tools, they will only add to your troubles.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Well, I was taking out the top bolt on the bottom clamp, clamp was nice and hot, and the bolt was comming out nicely. Came out 3-4mm, then SNAP. It wasnt even where it was easy to get at, it was in between where the clamp pulls togeather. Kinda hard to explan. Anyway, I got it out, took about a hour. I drilled a hole in the bolt, opened it up a little with a finishing nail punch, then hammered and square screw driver in there. Wasnt too bad, just fustrating, mainly becasue it was comming out before it broke. :bang: Anyway, goign to go out and take the bottom one out. A little more heat this time.

Thanks for the help!

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Well, I got the other one out no problem. All I did was smack around the bolt, the head lightly, then sprayed the crap out of it with WD-40. Then I put the ratchet on and put so it would tighten the bolt. I hit the handle with a rubber mallet a cuple times, which broke whatever was holing it in. After that, it just turned out like it should with barely any problems.

Top Bottom