George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
When I go over a section of hard packed with some small bumps, my front end starts bouncing around and I almost lose it. The wheels starts going left and right really fast, and I am able to hold on and correct it, but it's not a pleasant feeling. I'm guessing the front fork is too stiff, it doesn't sag much when I get on, but still gives when I hit little jumps. I'm pretty new to adjusting suspension, ride hard packed desert mostly. Thanks.

2001 YZ250
-George - 165lbs with gear

Last edited:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I am far from a suspension guru, but I think you need to ease up on the compression damping. Clickers should be at the bottom of the fork, behind a rubber plug. I think counterclockwise is the way to go, but I don't have a manual of any kind in front of me right now to check.

kta176

Jan 12, 2007
It's probably not the compression, go softer on your rebound dampening ( counter-clockwise). Don't forgot to bleed the air out of your forks before you ride either.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
kta176 said:
It's probably not the compression, go softer on your rebound dampening ( counter-clockwise). Don't forgot to bleed the air out of your forks before you ride either.

I by softer rebound, you do mean slower right?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
kta176 said:

Thought so...

And when you do slow down the rebound, do it one or two clicks at a time. And never change more than one aspect of the suspension at one time. You'll never know what change caused a different feel. So if you get something that isn't right, you won't really know what to put back.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Actually, video would help here (or maybe a friend with a good eye). If the fork is compressed and bouncing, then it is rebound. It it is extended, then compression is the problem. These guy may very well have more experience in this area than I.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
FruDaddy said:
Actually, video would help here (or maybe a friend with a good eye). If the fork is compressed and bouncing, then it is rebound. It it is extended, then compression is the problem. These guy may very well have more experience in this area than I.

Video would be good.. But I think rebound is what's causing the bouncing..

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
Sounds like a common case of headshake or "death-wobbles" as they are so commonly referred to.
Try dropping the forks in the triple clamps first, which may sacrifice turning slightly but its alot better than eating it. Then, maybe try adjusting the rear rebound, because if it is to quick then it will kick and make the bike feel some what uncontrollable.
Also, check out your tyre pressure.

George01YZ

Feb 20, 2007
Thanks for all of the replies, I will take a look at it next chance I get. I did check my tire pressure and found it to be really low, like <5lbs, not sure how that happened. Yes, the death wobbles are not fun.

As for moving the fork lower, are you saying just slide it down the clamps a little?

George

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
George01YZ said:
Thanks for all of the replies, I will take a look at it next chance I get. I did check my tire pressure and found it to be really low, like <5lbs, not sure how that happened. Yes, the death wobbles are not fun.

As for moving the fork lower, are you saying just slide it down the clamps a little?

George

That's what he's saying... Don't move the top of the forks below the top of the top clamp though.

Top Bottom