Frozen linkage/rear shock? HELP!

MichiGator

Jun 23, 2003
Got a mint '86 KDX 200. After letting the nephew thrash on it the other day, we noticed that the rear suspension was sitting real low (rear fender not returning to its normal height). I sat on the bike and immediatley noticed that the bike was sitting much lower in the rear-also noticed that it seemed like we had no shock anymore-it acted like just a spring back there for suspension . however, you could not lift the rear end up (there was no "sag" to the suspension-it was like it was FROZEN half way down the stroke). Upon further review of the linkage, rear shock/swingarm, etc., we noticed that the top linkage bolt had worked its way about half way out of the linkage and is now on about a 30 degree angle sticking out of the linkage with no nut holding on the other side. What to do now? Its like the suspension got halfway through the stroke and then the bolt must have come loose and wedged in the linkage. The really odd thing is that the rear suspension has no shock action at all-its like it is a spring with only 6 inches of travel. I cannot lift up the rear suspension as it is locked up tight yet the bike still has travel.It seems I should unload the rear shock and then get that bolt out and then tear everything down and replace/regrease, etc. BUT everything back there seems to be under heavy pressure with a bolt halfway out of the linkage-makes me not want to just try to force the bolt out? WHat are the proper steps to break this down and fix it myself (I think the shock is probably OK)or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the local shop and pay the man. Thanks in advance for any feedback

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
I would take it in. No bike is worth losing an eye for. Then maybe see from there what all was torn up. If it is under alot of pressure then it may cause stress on other parts that you may not realize and wollow the linkage out. I am not a pro but it doesn't sound like a good job to be messing with and maybe causing more damage.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Take off the seat. Use a couple of name brand tie downs to wrap around the frame on top and the swingarm on bottom. Use a hammer and flat edged pin punch to loosen the locknut on the shcok spring, then turn the preload adjusting ring until the spring tension is less. If it is tied down, then you should be able to remove other parts SORT OF safely, but try the adjusting ring first.

If you have a hydraulic press, back the bike into it and press it down a little to hold it steady.

Good luck with it.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Have not heard of this before, but I would think you need to carefully remove the tire and fender with the bike on a stand. Then use something like a twisted cable loop to compress the swingarm toward the top rear frame. This should take off the pressure to enable you to work out the bolt and prevent it flying back or up when you do get it out. Repair should be easy but not necessarily cheap from there. Good luck John

MichiGator

Jun 23, 2003
Thanks for the replies fellas, Appreciate the info. I think we will try it to work on it over thanksgiving weekend-Will let you know how it goes. The ol 86 still rips and, in fact, last month when my little bro bought his brand new 2006 CRF 230, I went out there and just pulled away from him with the Ol 86 KDX. Not bad for a 20 year old bike
Thanks again..

Top Bottom