Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I decided to disassemble my daughter's used '98 XR100, check all of the bushings, regrease the pivots, and repaint the frame and swingarm. I'm realizing as I try that it has probably never been done before.

It has a Pro-Link rear monoshock suspension, which includes a shock arm (more of a three hole triangular block) and a shock link. The arm bolts to the swingarm and the link to the frame, then they bolt together. The shock bottom then bolts to the third pivot point of the arm.

The shock came out, the swingarm bolt came out, and the bolt tying the arm to the link came out. The bolt holding the arm to the swingarm and the one holding the link to the frame though, will not come out. There are pivot collars in each of the respective parts, which must have run dry of grease and rusted to the bolts. The bolts will spin, apparently spinning the collars with them, but will not drive out.

I've been using a hardwood block to prevent mushrooming the bolts and making things even worse. I've also been spraying a lot of an aresol penetrating oil in. The fact I've sprayed so much in means I have to get it all apart now and clean it with solvent then regrease. I really need some advise to bet the two frigging bolts out! Is there something like a jig thing that I could hook up to press them out, like a bearing press or reverse puller?

Also, I've discovered that the bolt tying the link to the frame must not have been properly torqued. Though that bolt isn't coming out, there is latteral play in the holes through the frame, which are a little ovaled out of round. After I do get the bolt out, what can I do to fix the frame before I put it all back together? Do I drill the holes out bigger and put some sort of bushings in? Or do I weld them closed, the redrill them? If the second choice, how do I make sure I'm properly alligning them when I do it? Because of the location on the frame, it seems it would be very difficut to secure it under a drill press. What's the usual proceedure?

Thanks in advance for any help!

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
PB BLASTER soaking for a couple days then an impact wrech (air) while pounding on the other end for the stuck bolts and a machine shop to fix the ovaled holes
good luck

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Thanks, QKEN, for responding. I took the frame and swingarm down to my bike salvage yard/shop though, and a minute with the propane torch then the air impact and they're out. No charge! They also said that the ovaled holes could be drilled bigger, then spud washers welded in, but didn't think it was a must do for the XR100. When I said they were ovaled out, the response was, 'always'!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom