Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
To start off ,, I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO RUN ANY ETHANOL IN ANY OF MY 2 STROKE ENGINES !!

We're fortunate that for the last two summers here in VT , several stations have imported non ethanol gas from Canada.
Last summer they didn't know if it was going to be available this year so a few of us stored some over the winter. I personally stored 40 gallons in a sealed metal drum with fuel stabilizer.
This gas had an octane rating of 91 and with some over thinking involved , I formed a conclusion that I'd lose some potency over the winter. So I went and got ten gallons of 100 octane aviation
gas , of course non-ethanol and mixed up our fuel this year with
25% aviation to the 91 , mathmatically making about a 93.5 octane fuel. The summary of this long story is that we have two 2 stroke trail bikes and one ran great on this fuel , the other I've
been scratching my head on as it just didn't have the snap and I really didn't think it was the fuel.
This week end I rejetted the bike that just did not have the smooth pull that it's known for and what a world of difference.
I learned or reminded myself that when you buy a different gas,
think about how it may affect the running of your bike.
I have no intentions to run anything different , just a learning curve on one of our bikes and all bikes are different , even if they
are the same year and model. :cool:

pearman

May 21, 2012
Thanks for the great info. Im still able to buy 91oct no ethanol @ the pump.
but I ve never tried any higher octane, it too hard to find around here.

pearman

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
If your still able to buy 91 non- ethanol then that's what I'd run.

Don't waist your money or time over thinking as I did.

But ,, ask your gas station manager how long they expect the
non-ethanol to be available. If they have no idea , which even the
suppliers would say , I'd suggest to store some in sealed metal containers for at least next year. Ad some stabilizer and you'll be fine.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
If you have no choice but to run E10, follow these simple rules:
1. Never mix more than you're going to use.
2. Go one step up on your main jet.
3. Drain the carb if the bike is going to sit more than a week.
4. Drain the tank if the bike is going to sit for an extended period.
5. If the gas is more than a couple weeks old, burn it in your garden equipment.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
pearman said:
Thanks for the great info. Im still able to buy 91oct no ethanol @ the pump.
but I ve never tried any higher octane, it too hard to find around here.

pearman

Just a quick tip ,,,,, if it's a single hose pump , put 2 gallons in your car before you fill a gas can as you don't know what the person before you bought and that way your flushing out the line of any
ethanol.

Top Bottom