Fuel coming out of overflow lines?

tutender

Mar 3, 2009
Hi, I was just wondering if it is normal for a little bit of fuel to come out of the carb overflow lines occasionaly when stopping after a hard run. I reset my float height a few rides ago since the previous owner never did this and I had to do a rough trail side adjustment the ride before since it was dumping out fuel. I just noticed this yesterday at the race track. I did set it to the high end (18mm). It calls for 14-18mm. Otherwise the bike is running great. What effect does setting the float height to the low end (14mm) have over setting it to the high end? Which setting is best for rough trail riding at higher altitudes (4000ft) which steep hills and slow speed technical terrain. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks, Fred

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
A little fuel occasionally is not a big deal. If it happens frequently, you'll want to set the float a bit lower. If it's set too low, it can get fuel starved on steep hill climbs or downhills. I usually aim for the middle of what the specs say.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
tutender said:
Hi, I was just wondering if it is normal for a little bit of fuel to come out of the carb overflow lines occasionaly when stopping after a hard run. I reset my float height a few rides ago since the previous owner never did this and I had to do a rough trail side adjustment the ride before since it was dumping out fuel. I just noticed this yesterday at the race track. I did set it to the high end (18mm). It calls for 14-18mm. Otherwise the bike is running great. What effect does setting the float height to the low end (14mm) have over setting it to the high end? Which setting is best for rough trail riding at higher altitudes (4000ft) which steep hills and slow speed technical terrain. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks, Fred
Keep the setting high, alittle overflow is better than the lean runaway that may happens on steep inclines because of too low of a float setting

Top Bottom