Fuel level gauge adapter? Float level?

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
On the manual for my yz125 it says im supposed to use a Fuel level gauge adapter to measure the floats. i dont have one of these so is there another measurement for my floats??

this is what it says in my manual:

Fuel level:
9.5~10.5 mm (0.37~0.41 in)
*11.5~12.5 mm (0.45~0.49 in)
Above the float chamber
mating surface

thanks for any help

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
The most common procedure is to remove the float bowl then measure the float height with a decent rule. It's measured from the gasket surface to the highest point on the float (holding the carb upside down). Note that most float valves have a spring loaded pin that rides against the tab on the float. The measurement is taken with the float tab just touching the end of the pin without compressing it with the valve fully seated.

The other method I've run into, but far less common, uses a clear piece of tubing connected to the float bowl drain, with the free end open and held above the top of the float chamber. When the drain is opened, gas will fill the tube. Because the gas will seek it's own level, the height in the tube equals the height inside the bowl. Your measurement is then taken from the fuel level to the gasket surface.

Marc -

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
so on the first method you listed, the measurement that is measured from the gasket to the float bowl is the same as the one in the second method? my manual only lists one method and one measurement.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
Your manual will be specifically one or the other as the 2 methods would yield 2 completely different numbers for the same carb. I'm confident that your manual is specifiying the first method. Incidentally, it is taken without the gasket in place so you'll need to remove it if it's stuck to the carb body. Also, it's from that surface to the highest point on the float, not the float bowl (the float bowl is removed in this procedure).

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I prefer the vent hose method,it clearly shows seat issues!
The overflow should tell you the same thing... but I agree, it's my preference just because it's a heck of a lot easier if not more accurate. But just about nobody uses it so you don't know what the spec is. You could set the floats using the static method and then measure them dynamically and stick it in your manual, but I'm too lazy! :nod:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom