KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Hi, I just took my second ride on my new (to me) KDX 200, and I was just heading to camp after a 51 mile loop, but it ran out of gas about 500 feet from camp, I put it on reserve and it ran for about 5 seconds and died. I pushed it to camp, filled it up, and it started right up!

Is this due to the size of the tank? Do I need a bigger one?

THANKS

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
51 miles from a tank is not unreasonable if you ride fairly hard. My 250 barely gets that when babied, with a 3.5 gallon tank, and I can easily drop that down to 40-45 miles if I'm really ripping it up.

kwakvgr

Jul 20, 2000
Milage!!!

HI Buddy!
Well, I have a '01 KDX220. Have been riding it a lot up in the Big Bear area of So Cal because of the heat. I am used to my other bike (96 KTM 440EXC) that has a lot more power, so I can pretty much ride this litle 220 wide open in a lot of places out there. What I'm getting at is that I ride it pretty darn hard!!! Anyway, I just did a 45mi loop with out going on reserve a week or so ago and I'm actually jetted stock (which means RICH). With the right jetting and 3 gals. of fuel, I think 60mi(or better) before reserve should be possible.
Check your jetting!!:) :) :)

teton

Dec 13, 2000
If you do need to get a bigger tank, IMS makes one that fits nice. Comes either green or clear with one set of shrouds. Out here in the Ca. desert we have a tendency to run WOT (wide open throttle) for long periods of time, plus there's always lots of sand (deep sand) that rob's power so about 50 miles out of a tank to me seem's good. It's also quite hot so running alittle fat on the main jet isnt a bad thing.

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Hmmm, Interesting, Well, I just got my new Dirt Bike (I think) Magazine and it had a tip on converting the radiator overflow tank to a extra fuel cell. Has anyone had success in doing this? Also, I was looking at my dad's WR250F And he has a good sized coolant overflow tank mounted on the inside of the left sidepanel. Do you think I could mount something like that up?

Thanks!

teton

Dec 13, 2000
I actually was thinking about the same thing, look's like the mounting holes are still there and the side panel is out far enough for it to fit, I would think that one of an early model KDX might work, like a 89-94. If any of you guy's who might have both bike's would mind looking to see if the mounting looks the same that would be worth a red buritto at Taco Bell !!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I get around 60-70 miles out of my KDX even with the big bore kit. Stock 3.2? gallon tank and non perfect jetting. The coolant overflow on mine stashes behind the left side panel, it has 3 mounting holes, two in sort of a straight line and one mounting tab up by the filler cap. I personally wouldn't use it as space for extra fuel because it does its job as an overflow quite well, on tight trails my bike tends to push out a lot of coolant that would otherwise end up on the ground.

slickhenry

Jul 13, 2001
I am with smb_racing I used to have a '93 kdx200 and it would go a loong ways on a tank. It is completely stock (sold it to a buddy) still runs great (original top end) and still goes more than 60 miles on a tank.

onfire

Jul 23, 2001
I just got back from 3 days of riding in the June Mountain area of California. On one of the days my father in law, and I, both on 95 kdx's, went 80 miles on a stock tank and never hit reserve. We did some wide open riding and some on and off the gas stuff. When we got back I checked my tank and still had gas visible in the tank.

So I think 90 miles on a tank isn't unreasonable either.:D

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
You guys are making me feel better.:eek: I'm riding a dual sport ride in Wisconsin in a month and it's about 60 miles between gas stops.
I'll be riding my 99 KDX200 with a few mods (pipe, SA/silencer, drilled airbox, and jetted correctly) and was a little nervous about the mileage. I know about half of the ride will be fire roads, so I'll try to keep away from WFO as much as I can and ride at 3/4 throttle or so on the boring stuff.

I was also kicking around the old hotwater/air pressure trick to expand the tank a little. Anyone have any luck with that??:confused:

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
lo-o-o-o-ong rides

my '99 220 ran 82 miles on a day ride several weeks ago, with at least a reserve full of fuel left over. a lot of slow technical riding. lots of steady throttle running. tight woods, single track, and above-the-treeline (somewhere around 7K in elevation). stopped at about 80 miles when one of the crew ran out of gas and had to rig up a tow-strap. only then did i switch to reserve, and then only because we were already stopped and i didn't want to fumble in the dark for reserve while underway.

stock jetting (as far as i know), fmf gnarly rev pipe & turbine-core silencer.

by the way..., i only get 15 miles once i've switched to reserve.

so..., i figure that with a little judicious coasting on descents, and a steady moderate throttle hand, you might be able to squeeze almost 100 miles out of a stock tank.

when we're raging around with lots of steep little hillclimbs, racing each other, and considering some spilled fuel while ol' gouge is laying on his side; i'll still EASILY get over 70 miles on a stock tank.

Last edited:

teton

Dec 13, 2000
You might also try checking the float bowl for stickie or incorrect level's, you may be losing alot of gas thru the vent's, do you spend alot of time on the ground ? Not at all implying that you cant ride, just maybe you were pushing that one soft corner a bit hard and slid out, hence losing some gas.

What I was mentioning earlier is that on your DX the over flow tank is tucked behind the right shrould, on older DX's the tank is behind the left rear side number plate, it look's like all the mounting hole's are still there and the plate is still out far enough to perhap's mount a tank there for some extra fuel.

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
As a CYA, I found a IMS 3.5 gallon tank on eBay. Ended up getting it for $77. I think I should be more than safe for the ride I'm going on. I don't think I'll play quite as nice as I was before, either.:p

Wide open fire roads, here I come!!!:cool:

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
NDRO, good idea, get the tank, even if you can make it youll be nervous and worry about it the whole time. Also you probobly wont go as fast or you'll ride in a real high gear to try to conserve fuel. Guys, NDRO has his priorities in order, dont get exhaust systems, reeds and performance parts before a more functional gas tank or maybe handlebars that give you a better feel for the bike. If your not racing you dont need amazing amounts of power. How many times are you WFO anyways?

Top Bottom