eastkdx

Jan 20, 2005
Just got a kdx220 2001 and love the bike. The question I got is I am running Bel-Ray MC1 synthetic and it is recomened at 50:1 and I run the first tank full at that and had a good color on the plug after a little air screw adjustment for low speed riding. After reading manual recomended 32:1 and reading all the threads on this decided to change to 40:1 on the second tank. Fouled plug at start up after warming up, put new plug in ran fine but smoked a little more, plug looked a little leaner which makes since more oil less gas being burned. Just wanted to know if somebody had experience with MC1 and if 50:1 was safe. Thanks

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
50:1 refers to the fuel:oil RATIO, not mixture.

Ask 100 two-stroke riders about what the "best" ratio is, and you'll get 101 answers. I would suggest a search of the archives on this subject.

eastkdx

Jan 20, 2005
Yeah sorry about that just used wrong word. I have looked at serveral of threads on the subject that is what got me to change it in the first place. This is only second tank of fuel I have mixed for it and I just didn't want to screw up. Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Check the 'Every kdx rider should read...' post stickied to the top of this forum. Plug fouling is a fairly common kdx issue (and a lot of other 2-stroke bikes) if the machine isn't jetted properly. CDave's site will give you some good starting points...AND tell you how to compensate for elevation.

Jetting is related to premix ratio..but that's not how proper jetting accomplished.

Plug color isn't the tell-tale to determine air/fuel mixture suitability.

A properly jetted kdx (or any other bike..and other mechanical conditions being OK) won't be fouling plugs.

Answer #102: I had a lean roll seizure on a perfectly jetted 200 with MC1. I wouldn't use the stuff if you gave it to me. Yeah...such a seizure is probably pretty likely in such a situation. Doesn't mean I don't like it, though. ;)

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
I have been using MC-1 for about 6 months at a 40 to 1 ratio and have had no problems. I have stock jetting gnarley pipe and air lid gone!!!!!

Top Bottom