fuel petcock w/reserve for YZ400F?

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Can you install a fuel petcock w/reserve for a YZ400F? Is the one from a WR400F compatible? Any one have any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea?

For some reason, it bothers me not having reserve. Guess I just don't want to run out of gas and KNOW that I don't have any in reserve.

Thanks!
---
Brandon
'99 YZ400F w/kickstarter still intact ;)

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Yamaha of Troy Link

Here is a link to the online Y of T parts catalog.

http://216.37.204.205/Yamaha_OEM/YamahaDB.asp?Type=13&A=152&B=37

They show the petcock from a WR and it appears to have reserve. it lists for 18 bucks, I would throw down 18 dollars if it will work. I used to ride an XR and it would go for 80+ miles on a tank. I have not run out on my YZ but you never know.....

Interesting to hear from others if this would work......

Mie

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
I have the WR petcock on my '98 YZF. For motocross, you want to make sure it's on RESERVE (in the up position).

OFF is horizontal, ON is down.

It bolts on without modification, and is easy to do. I highly recommend it for the IMS tank that I have, but I also use it on the stock YZF tank.

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Tony Williams
.....For motocross, you want to make sure it's on RESERVE (in the up position).........

Just curious, why do you need to leave it on Reserve for MX? Is this so the fuel doesn't run out going up steep jumps? What about steep hills trail riding?

Thanks for the info. though. I think I'll give it a shot. I found it for $18.02 at Ronnie's

Top Bottom