Fuel ratio and tranny fluid for a 220???

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
I just bought a 97 220 for my son and we are both currently riding 4 strokes. I don't have the manual (didn't come with the bike) and the guy at the local shop sold me Maxima Super M to mix and Bel Ray Gear Saver 75w.

What do I mix the Mamima at and is this the right tranny fuild?

Thanks
Bill

By the way I ride a WR400 and the little 220 looks like it might be more fun in the tight stuff than my blue beast :) That thing rips!

------------------
99 WR400f, White Bros E-Series silencer and tapered head pipe. YZ seat and tank. Thumper rad guards, works frame guards, scots steering damper. Soon to be MX-Tech suspension. SETRA, AMA, Happy Ramblers MC.

97KDX220, FMF Rev pipe and silencer, renthals.

Courage is not the absense of fear. It is the judgement that something is more important, than fear.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I think you'll find the 220 to be less of a hand full compared to the WR. Most people on this forum mix at 40:1. It works well for me. As far as running 75wt gear oil in your tranny, you may find that it doesn't shift all that well. I've had pretty good luck with both 10/30 car oil and type f automatic tranny fluid.

Kaw Bill

yamaha1

Feb 2, 2001
I have been told that gear oils and motor oils are rated different and that a 80W90 gear oil is the same as a 10W40 motor oil. I personally run Yamalube motor oil in my 94 KX's tranny, but I have heard lots of good things about the Bel Ray Gear Saver oil and that is what the previous owner ran. I would run it, but my hometown dealer doesn't carry it so I run the Yamalube. I think you would be happy using either oil. Also, I like to run a ratio of 32/1, as I have heard that it extends the life of the crank bearings.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Most KDX owner will run a good quality synthetic or synthetic blend 2-cycle oil between 40 and 50:1.

The gear oil typically makes the KDX hard to shift. Give it a try and see how you like it. It might work great for you. I’d recommend using good quality motor oil in the transmission if you find the gear oil isn’t working well for you and ignore everything you’ve read in SandRooster220’s post. . There is plenty of interesting reading on oils in the Tech forum. Have a read.

Add oil to the top of the sight glass.

You’ll grow to love the 220 in more than the tight stuff. It’s a very relaxing easy to ride bike.

David

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
sagesdirtandstreet wrote:

I run Redline Two Stroke race oil at 45:1 in a highly modified 220 that gets ridden a min. of 250mi per month. I have almost 1 year to date on my engine and it's starting to get a little rattle in the top end, this last year includes trips to the sand dunes with a 8 lug paddle, many HARD woods rides, trips to California's hills and "asphalt" dirt, 95+deg rides and some 25deg snow/ice rides. In my opinion there is no better oil that I have found.
As for the tranny, Redline light weight gear oil "blue" not "yellow" works very, very well. I have put this in brand new, i.e. 0 mi, units and after a 3 months of riding the trannys are not broken yet. another trick is to polish the shift star.

Jan 10, 2001
Sorry Dave, I guess Im behind in the tranny oil department, I had no idea you could run regular motor oil in the tranny. In the past I was told otherwise, but now I know something new.

Happy KDXn!

------------------
SandRooster220

1998 Kawasaki KDX 220
FMF Powered
Renthal Supplied

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Make sure that the motor oil is labled for motorcycle use or has MA rating or it won't have the shear strenth needed for MC trans use.

------------------
Sage Wilkinson, KDX Link 1

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Canadian Dave,

Are you saying I can just run Castrol GTX automotive oil in the tranny?

I will probably go with a semi-synthetic at 40:1 for the fuel.

Thanks for the info guys and gals!

vetwfo'er

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
Yes regular automotive oil works great. I've been using Mobil 10-40 dino oil and it shifts fine. It's also cheap enough to be able to change it every few rides and I use almost the whole quart which cuts down on the noise.

------------------
96 KDX200
98 Ninja 250R

Top Bottom