OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
My 01 kdx200 has a crack around the front of the fuel filler neck.
It does not appear to go all the way though to allow fuel to leak out yet. Has any one else had this problem and do you know an easy fix or am I stuck buying a new tank. Dont know what caused this as i have never crashed hard yet(only 320 miles on it).
Nor can I remember ever putting undo strain on the neck or cap.
thanks Steve

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
Dear Old,
I believe there have been several late model owners who have reported cracks near the filler cap. I think its a manufacturer's defect. Take it to your dealer immediately and they should replace it free of charge.
Good Luck,
Keith

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
Old:

It happened to me too with my '01 220. I brought it to my dealers attention and they promptly ordered a new one to replace it. Your bike must still be under warranty though, even if it is the manufactures 90 day warranty period.

Aloha and good luck.

Scot

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Scot, there have been instances of Kawasaki replacing the tank, even after warranty periods. My understanding is the Kawasaki knows there is a problem with a batch of tanks (or maybe more than one batch) so just replaces rather than leaving the customers high & dry.

Steve, even if your bike is out of warranty, go talk to your dealer. If you have no luck, I would contact Kawasaki USA about it. (It's not just the US that's been affected, I know of one over here that got replaced due to the same reasons).

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
Cracked Tank

Old,

This just happened to me as well last month, and my bike had just expired it's 90 days. Dealer replaced no questions asked, they said not to tighten the cap so hard, wich I think had nothing to do with it anyway. You should have no problems with down time 2 days to get tank from Kawasaki.

shifty1

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
I agree that tightening the cap has nothing to do with this problem either. If you look closely at the filler neck you can see the poor workmanship.

Top Bottom