GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Anybody have a heart rate monitor? I just bought a Polar F6 and just figured out how to use it. I wore it on Saturday while doing an hour long walk and then again on Sunday while I rode my bicycle for 30 minutes. Its really interesting to see that the number of calories burned is much less than what typical internet numbers say. But I'd much rather know what I'm really burning and when I'm in my target heart rate.

You can set it up in a variety of ways and it has a light beep that indicates that you are under or over your ideal target heart rate. You can also keep the beeps silent, however, if you push yourself into the desired zone, it is quiet. I learned that my resting heart rate is 85 and that riding my bicycle in my targeted heart rate zone for 30 minutes burned approximately 247 calories and not the 409 listed on the internet for "moderate bicycle"

I thought the T31 coded transmitter that you have to wear around your chest would be uncomfortable but I never really thought about it during exercise. Its not more uncomfortable than an elastic waist band, etc.

It was fun to watch my HR go up on inclines or even slight hills and when I coasted on the downward slopes, it would fall back down. I wore it bringing the laundry upstairs and noted that it would go up a few ticks. Someone told me that if you ate a salty meal, you can also see your HR go up.

Anyway, I really like this thing mainly because it allows me to better understand when I am in my targeted heart rate and it allows me to input stats about myself so that it is giving me info about my body and not a generic body.

Anyone else have one?

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I've got one in the ambulance. I put it on other people a lot more often than on myself though. ;)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Phil has been kind of looking into getting one for us...but I don't think he has found anything yet. Just has mentioned it and looked at few kind of a thing.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
hmmm. Let's see a forum for gearheads??....I'm guessing you'll get a few yeses. :laugh:

I used them when I was running competitively and briefly when I switched to triathlon. I'll be expecting Badgerman and Sweeprider aka Mrs.Badgerman to stop by and offer some advice to you. They can be fun for motivation/ a great tool for keeping yourself honest/ and extremely useful to prevent overtraining.

I could tell you some funny stories about powerlines, stoplights, and spinning classes where your monitor picks up someone else's monitor. Keep in mind that you can get some interesting interference from other electrical sources.

Incidentally, how does your monitor define "resting heart rate". 85 is quite high by some training definitions.

If you'd like, I can recommend some books/websites on heart rate based training.

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
fatcat216 said:
Keep in mind that you can get some interesting interference from other electrical sources.

Incidentally, how does your monitor define "resting heart rate". 85 is quite high by some training definitions.

The new models have a feature with the T31 coded transmitter that works in group environments and keeps cross talk from occuring, so that is very cool. Also 85 probably is high, but I'm out of shape and always stressin' ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Get on a treadmill and note that you can reduce your rate by controlling your breathing. I do have a Polar, can't remember the model, and have used it in the gym, on the mountain bike, and occasionally on the dirt bike (just for fun).

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Spider has one that he has worn riding practice but not during a race yet.
I'll have to get on him to do the practice again and then the next race so we can do some comparisons. My guess is he will be much higher even sitting on the line waiting for the gate drop

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I bet that's true Oldguy! I would be interested in hearing about the results.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hi Nat,

I have worn them in the past, I once wore it out at Carnegie. My resting heart rate is about 70bpm, after about 5 laps I was at 168bpm. While doing the spin class the most I would hit was about 153bpm. I need to buy another, I like the calories burned idea.\

How ya been?

Top Bottom