bro

Mar 21, 2002
I thought you could all use a good laugh before the weekend.....

I purchased an old 4x4 pickup a while back to use as a bike hauler, I put in a new engine, tranny, etc. to make it road worthy. I couldn't resist putting in a lift kit and big tires too, so the truck ended up quite tall.

I am not a tall person so I got two 8 foot 2x10's to use as ramps, one for the bike and one for me. I even modified the tailgate so it would drop down a little to give me a better angle during loading.

Well, come spring I had the bike in the garage all ready to go so I backed the truck up to the garage to load the bike. I pulled out my two ramps, lined everything up just right, moved the bike as far to the back of the garage as possible and took off running like a madman to get up the ramps.

Apparently over the winter I had forgotten that as you travel up a ramp you gain elevation. Needless to say, as I got about halfway up the ramps WHAAAAAACK, I nailed the old melon on the top of the garage door. Nearly knocked myself silly, but I did manage to keep it on the ramp.

Now whenever I load my bike I put my helmet on first!

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Been there... Funny thing was, I wasn't aware that I wired a telephone in my garage but the damn thing kept ringing for about 1/2 hour after I hit my head. I still haven't found it. :) :)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I've stood up in the back of my truck when it was in the garage. Got the lump to prove it;)

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I fell out the side of my truck trying to load my bike once. I fell on my head. Good thing I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But then again, I can't remember if I was the sharpest, before I fell.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
My riding buddy was loading into his enclosed trailer, he decided to ride his bike in and slammed his face right into the top of the trailer. Needless to say he and the bike ended up in a heap on the ground. My daddy always told me "pay attention and you might learn somthing". Well I learned something that day........how to laugh. :confused:
Lew

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
It hurts just reading these.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't want to point out the obvious, but it appears that the majority afflicted by these antics were in the vicinity of yellow bikes.

(RM_Guy...I'll draw you a picture and explain it to you later)

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
I've got a funny story, to me anyway. We were heading to the mountains for the weekend with the bikes all loaded onto my brother-in-laws trailer. My brother's bike was the last one on , and was at the back. We are following in our boat anchor camper truck, that couldn't do the speed limit down a hill with a good head wind, anyway next thing we know one of the straps lets loose and his bike falls over with the handle bars hanging off the back of the trailer. :scream: Have you ever had extremely conflicting emotions, we couldn't catch up, and were actually at a pretty constant pace of loosing ground, watching him, pail as a ghost, squirming around, I didn't know if I should feel sympathy or burst out laughing at how stupid and helpless the sitution was. Thankfully a good sumaritain driver, with a little more throttle than us, flagged him over, and the painfull slow death never was.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Era of the Kawi Bighorn....
I was about 16-17 and was repairing bikes as a way to make a few extra bucks. A local gas station owner heard about me and brought his Kaw to me to try to figure-out a mid-range up mis-fire. After a week or so of friutless carb cleaning and wiring insp I threw-in the towel. Thought it might be related to the timing. These were one of the first electronic ign bikes. I found out later it WAS the 'black box'(CDI unit).
Well, I call the guy and he comes to get the bike. Brings a short bed 4x4 Chev pick-up , they were kinda tall, and has a 2x4 for a ramp that is about 5' long. Well right away I see trouble in the making. He backs up about 6 feet from the garage to have enough head clearence. This puts the board sitting on gravel. Now don't get ahead of me....Forgot to mention he was at best 5'5" and the Bighorn was a man's bike. Kinda the XR650 of its day. Ok...first attempt the board kicks out and he nearly launches himself thru the back glass but never falls down. Now he's embarassed and he is gonna be sure he makes it this time.
Sec attempt....board stays put but just as he tops the ramp he try's to dab and misses the tailgate. The first recorded back-flip and I was there. Sorry didn't get it on film. Now comes the funny part. The bike is on its side with the throttle stuck, don't they allways in these situations, and the new Dick Cepeck knobby is firing gravel like a howitser. And as amazing as that was to watch he jumps in the middle of that hurricane and grabs the bike and picks it up. He..bike and cloud of dust lurch to a stop. Now he's pissed. He goes into the garage , all the way to the back about 35 feet from the truck, and does the first recorded motocross start on concrete. Hits the ramp and blasts into the truck. Perfect. I nearly **** my pants.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Roostmaker said:
The best part about all these stories is I can picture them perfectly and that makes it all the better.
The worst part is that I can remember being the subject of all these stories! :ugg:

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I have two friends who have had limited success loading snowmobiles into the back of their trucks....

Darren shot up the ramp with an old SS440, hitting the end of the box so hard he cleared the roof of the truck, and rolled off of the hood. The bright side was he didn't break the back window of the truck.

Dieter ended up with the skies almost touching the dash when he launched his Polaris 340 trail right through the back window of his brand spankin new ford 4x4. :confused:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
OMG...loading sleds :silly:

Last winter I was loading my 91 Polaris onto our 8x8 trailer...I get a small rolling start and am braced ready to slam the brakes as I go up the trailer. Somehow the ski runners decided to catch on the back edge of the trailer stopping the sled instantly, but not me (my physics teacher wasn't lying!!! objects in motion tend to remain in motion until an outside force acts upon it :think: ) I went flying over the bars somehow flipping and landing on my back. Being in a dazed mental state I tried again, a little faster, actually too fast and launched half the sled over the front of the trailer. Good thing with these winter sports we have a little "when stupidity strikes" padding :)

Top Bottom