83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
I got a CLEAN 83 XR a couple months ago and have been going through it. I paid $180! After an air cleaner, seat cover, led taillight, front fender, oil/filter change, and going through the carbs and jetting for my altitude (5200ft) it still had a high RPM break up. Turns out that last night I was hitting a trail when the headlight flickered. I found a nasty female spade connector on the bulb. Replaced it and now there is no top end break up. There was evidence of melted insulation on the wire near the nasty connector...due to resistance. Just wanted to pass this on. I guess this is a total loss ignition system?...no battery. The arcing (or more likely an intermittent short at high vibes) that was going on at the headlight connection must have thrown things off. Hope this helps somebody. ---Will

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
83XR500R said:
Just wanted to pass this on.
I guess this is a total loss ignition system?...no battery. Hope this helps somebody. ---Will

Thanks for the tip 83XR500R.

Sounds like you got a good deal. :cool: Your electrical system is an AC system. If I remember correctly, your system only puts out 35 watts. The lights and ignition work directly off of the alternator as opposed to a battery. A bad connection, especially a bad ground connection could cause a miss.

FYI. A total loss ignition system has no charging system at all, only a battery to power the ignition. This is a system that is used with full on race bikes that don't use a charging system. Drag bikes, flattrackers, etc. On a total loss system, the battery has to be recharged between races/runs.

Top Bottom