gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Searched the archive and suprisingly enough, found nothing on this topic.

Soon fresh concrete will be poured in the new house. I want to coat the basement and garage floors ASAP. Cost is an object so I'm wanting to go with a coating. Nothing cutting edge. Just good practical, durable floor coating. I've been looking at the Rustoleum product.

Any suggestions?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I tried a coating that was specifically for concreat. Forgot what it was called, it's like $100 for a 5 gallon jug at home depot. I put 2 thick coats down on a 2 car gerage and it pealed up in some spots. This was an old concreat floor so you might have better results. There was another product there where you paint the floor and then sprinkle paint chips on it to give it some texture. I saw that also at home depot and i also so a review on it somewhere on TNT. I think it was hot rod tv or something. If (and when) i do my gerage again, i'm going to use that stuff. Sorry i don't remember the names of the stuff.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I used concrete stain on my garage floor, and it lifted every time a hot tire touched it.

Epoxy floor paint from Griot's Garage is guaranteed not to lift, and it makes your floor beautiful.

Griot's Garage Link

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You need to wait a year to let the concrete dry before putting sealing it...
Yes, it can take that long for all of the mositure to wick out.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Are you concerned primarily about sealing, or about a nice looking floor?

When my step-dad had a house built out in AZ, the concrete for the driveway and garage came premixed with stain. Blended the driveway in with the natural terrain of the surroundings. Kinda like a light brownish-red. Think canyon/sand stone color.

I'm sure there are different colored stains available, and since it's mixed with the raw concrete, it's permanent and won't "lift" off. You could always seal it once it's fully cured and dried. I remember reading about some test you can do to a small section of cement to determine if it is completely dried out. Something about pouring a solution on it or ??? Check with your concrete guy.

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
If you want it to last make sure you acid etch the floor first. A mixture of muriatic acid and water does the trick. Do some research and follow safety precautions for the acid, once you see what it does to concrete you won't want to get any on you.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm primarily concerned with sealing the floor. I make BIG messes sometimes.

I did find some information that said you need to compare the tack free curing time of the coating to the time it takes to draw moisture on a piece of plastic laid down on the floor. This link LINK claims 7 days max for their product and an industry standard of 28 days.

As usual, I'll investigate this until I'm blue in the face and then make the wrong decision.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Ditto on the muriatic acid caution. I mix it with water to clean pool filters, and when muriatic acid is mixed with water, it creates a cloud of hazy steam/mist.

DO NOT INHALE THIS STUFF OR GET IT ON YOUR SKIN, OR IN YOUR EYES!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
I just built a new house with a 3 car garage and put down the 2 part poxy stuff by Valspar. The Rust-oleum stuff has the piant chips and runs a little more. I figures a bis 3 car with paint chips was a litlle overwelming. The stuff went down great and did the intire garge for about $70.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I just did my garage with the Hot "something" anti-skid product I got at Lowes. One gallon almost got me two whole coats. They have a tintable base, so I had it tinted to go with my pool table & beer signs. Tre chic.

However, the anti-skid surface is becoming a PITA. It's nearly impossible to keep clean. Plus, it will peel. It takes a sharp, heavy object dragged across it though. FWIW, I prepped with muriatic acid, then a concrete cleaner. The surface was pretty nasty to begin with.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Burchdogs: How long did you let the concrete cure? How long has the stuff been down?

I don't like the 'color flakes' either. Just plain old gray will suit me fine. Easy to clean, easy to find the little pieces that fall on it.

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
the label didn't say anything about cure time of the cement but it was poared at least 60 days before we even moved in. It has only been down about 2 months but is still looks great and it cleans up great. We have been getting snow and ice and it just sweep out.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
George,
I used some oil based enamel after cleaning the floor with comet & chlorox. I laid out a baseball diamond and got white, green & brown oil based enamel made by enterprise for concrete from lowes. It has a few places that have needed some touch up but not much.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Heh... that baseball diamond sounds like a good excuse for the kids to play baseball inside. Mine break enough stuff as is.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I used an enamel paint for my garage, and I did the first coat with a really thin mix of about 50:50 with thinners. This meant that the enamel really soaked into the concrete, and once dry the second (normal thickness) coat stuck really well to it. I have dragged a car engine across the floor without any paint peeling off at all (it was too heavy to lift). The whole garage did stink of thinners for quite a while though - which kept 'the management' as she is known out of the garage.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
www.ucoatit.com AWESOME PRODUCT! might be a lil more than what u want to spend but its worth it. we spent close to 800 on the coating. Looks amazing tho. Gives the floor a glass look to it like you see in expensive exotic garages. stains lift right off as well.def worth the money.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
I did my 26' by 58' shed with a coating that looks similar to that ucoatit stuff.

It's an epoxy like glossy coating that is soft enough that you can leave an impression in it with your fingernail yet you can drag a truck gearbox across it without it lifting.

In combination with a grinding to flatten out the concrete surface prior to application, it looks a million bucks!

Yamahauler

Jun 9, 1999
Originally posted by Humai
In combination with a grinding to flatten out the concrete surface prior to application, it looks a million bucks!

I'm curious what you used to "grind" the floor. I've been wanting to paint my garage floor for some time now. The problem is the floor had been painted before and has flaked off really bad. I'm not real sure what would be the best way to get the rest off. Muratic acid won't cut it. I think the floor needs to be sanded, but how I don't know. I've checked around for a bead blaster, but no one in my area has one. Suggestions?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom