Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Anybody gone to Gary Baileys MX School? Thoughts, reviews.
How about his books and videos, as far as being worth the money spent.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Hey Zoomer how have you been? One of my most memorable experiences as a kid (9) was going to Gary Baileys MX school back in Mich. I know that was too long ago to help you, but I think he is one of the great "icons" in our sport. One thing he did back then that he would get sued for now a-days, is when it came time to teach us ( kids from 8-12) how to use the front brake when going into a turn, he would stand at the entrance of a particular corner with a VERY large and thick stick, and have everyone one at a time go into the turn as fast as they could and use as much front brake as possible. Only problem is when you didn't use the front brake... CRACK, right across your knuckles on your right hand. I think he bloodied more than a few knuckles including mine, but it worked awesome, cuz from that point on I was very conscious of using my front brake ALL the time LOL!
I was just looking at an ad for one of his new videos that came out, I think I'm going to get it and check it out. As far as his schools go, I would highly recommend going, I would certainly guarantee you will learn quite a bit, and he is a great guy to boot.

Buster

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
HEy Buster, thanks for the reply, good herin(?) from ya again! Hey Gary didn't go from sticks to guns did he?:) ya know, you get older and you can't move quite so fast..........an yway, budy from daawn saaath wants to get to gether and meet me at one, heck, should just wait for dirt week, and get you to give one!;) Last one I went to was 1986, with Tony D here at Azzie! Man, thats almost 17years ago, better quit thinking back that far, or I'll fall off my chair. Hey any plans for a new bike? just curious to see if you would stay with the yz.

Later

Last edited:

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I have the art of jumping and whoops MX technique video. The video gives very good information, but it is a little outdated, and if its late at night will put me to sleep. I don't know maybe its the way he talks. A few of my buddies have gone to several different mx learning sessions of all kinds, from Local Pros, to Gary Bailey and the the Magic 5 or something, and they said that Gary Baily one was the most informative and they learned the most. Hope that helps.

Hopefully for X-mas I am getting Steve Lamson's technique video!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hey any plans for a new bike? just curious to see if you would stay with the yz.
Like he has a choice? :confused:

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
I'm going to sell it as soon as I get a radiator from Dubach,since I refuse to buy one :), mine is..well, lets just say after two laps there is more water on my left boot than in the bike LOL. I'm going to get a 426 to stay with Yamaha, because I've heard the 03 yz's are going to be sick!!

Like he has a choice?

Yes Okie, little has changed since DW :uh: LOL.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
billywho,

Did you ever ride/race in the Moline Illinois area? Probably at the Tri-City club in Coal Valley. Your name seems familiar.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Layton, I don't know exactaly where that is , but I grew up racing in Michigan at Stanton, Baja acres, Red Bud, Mid land, Bulldogs and an ocasional night race at Delta Ohio, but this was all back in the late 70's early 80's :scream: , man just saying that out loud is depressing :mad: .

Pat, laugh now, but at least I'm doing everything in my power to keep the motorcycle industry afloat :) .

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Well, that was about the right time period but it doesn't appear that you got over my way.

Thanks anyway.:)

I wanted to add that my boys took Bailey's mx school and I also remember him smacking the kids, and anyone elses, hands with a stick if they didn't use the front brake.

I never had that problem. The first dirt bike I owned didn't have a working rear brake so I just used the front. Turned out to be a good deal.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom