Jan 26, 2009
I searched but nothing found.

I have both a 1986 CR125 and a 1986 TRX250.

After riding the CR125 gas will drip out of the tubes slowly pretty much all night even with the gas off (im guessing this is all the gas that is in the engine from the tank shut off valve. ) The TRX does not have this problem.

What can i check?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
is it a steady drip, or just a little bit of a drip on occasion?

Could be a piece of debris betwen the float needle and seat, or the float may need adjusting.

Jan 26, 2009
well its not totally steady but over the night there is a good amount on the ground. The bike also has a trouble idling but runs perfectly fine when riding.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Sounds like the float valve in the carburetor. Either the float level is set too high or the valve simply leaks. Kind of like a leaky faucet at home, it can just drip a little.

When you are riding the engine will consume gas faster than the drip so the float level is correct. At idle the drip can be faster then what the engine uses so the level of gas in the bowl gets too high and the mixture becomes too rich which results in poor idle.

When you shut it off the level gets way too high and drips out the over flow tube.

I suggest that you order up the parts to rebuild the carburetor: gaskets and a new float needle & seat. I would guess the parts would be around $30.

Rod

Jan 26, 2009
Thanks, it needs it anyway I am sure. The bike was sitting for 2 years before I got my hands on it.

Top Bottom