145bluesman

May 9, 2001
I had an interesting thing happen to my 99 Gas Gas 200ec the first time i rode it. The bike has 15 hours on it. After 8 miles it would not shift out of second. The shift lever moved up and down but it would not shift, Tried it with and w/out clutch. After 5 miles it started to work, 1st - 3rd only then all gears eventually.:( My plans are to change oil and ride again.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Check to make sure the bolt that tightens the shifter to the shift shaft is tight. Also make sure the shifter is not hitting the ignition cover. That was the problem I had. I slid the shifter further out on the shaft for more clearance.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Gear oil?

What are you using for lubrication of the gearbox?

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
The spring loaded piece on the shift fork is probably stuck in th compressed position. If it happens again, you can see it if you take off the clutch side cover. You will see a rod that is connected to the shift lever on the other side of the motor. On that shaft is a piece that rotates the shift drum (it has ~5 teeth on the end and SHOULD, but probably wasn't in contact with the drum). Cause could be impact to shift lever, or related to kickstarter problems (metal shavings), or just metal shavings in general due to new motor.

squid

Oct 26, 1999
Bluesman,
I saw from your profile that your from Connecticut, and a NETRA member. Were are you from? Do you race hare scrambles or enduros.
I'm from R.I., also have a 99 ec 200 GAS GAS(which I love) and I race enduros..

Josh Cook

Oct 6, 2000
I agree with the stary about the shift shaft adjustment.
My bike is an old USA TEAM bike and it had slack in the shifter.
:scream:
It's not too much of a problem to fix....

Top Bottom