colem

Mod Ban
Sep 29, 2002
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 1999 gas gas 300. I rode it for 1/2 a lap at a poker run and I it was awesome. I'm riding a kdx 220 right now.

Any known problems with it?

Are the forks good? When I rode it the shock was really good (ohlins) but the forks seemed a bit too stiff, probably because the guy who rides it is way better than me and heavier.

Thanks

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I'm not sure about the '99 forks. I think they're Marzocchi's. Some people don't like them at all & others say they can be set up fine for woods. I've got re-valved 43 mm WP's on my '01 and they're awesome. Love the suspension.

Try a search, you'll get some info. Also, check www.smackovermotorsports.com - a GasGas dealer site

knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
I had an 01 300 Se, it was a great woods bike. Motor was near perfect, could have used a tad more flywheel in my opinion.Handling was a dream. I was very happy with machine, but didn't have long enough to speak for reliabilty.Had to sell for the$$$.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Remember too that if the bike is the Canadian version, it will have the heavier flywheel, as Canadian bikes are "EC" spec (bigger flywheel, larger charging coil, etc).

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I am the new owner of Knobbies 300 , and he is right about the engine . Loads of low end power that is easy to control . The suspention is Ohlins , front and rear that I had revalved to suit me . Very happy with it . I also can not comment on reliability except to say that I have not heard any bad storys . The bike is nice and short , easy to turn , but still stable at higher speeds .

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
Very happy with it . ..........

Hello dirtybkr,

I’m looking for the real weight of the 300 , do you have some idea ?
Some friends recommend me to buy the 200, +/- the same weight than the 300, but feels lighter.
Being a vet I believe that the 300 is easier for climbing, but more tiring than the 200 …?
Your opinion pls.
Thanx
RakO

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
RakO , I do not know the exact weight off hand , somewhere around 225 lbs I believe . The 200 , 250 , and 300 do indeed weigh pretty much the same .
I have not tried a 200 , but I have tried the 250 and I wouldn't say that it is less tiring than the 300 .
I am 41 years old a little out of shape ( OK maybe alot out of shape ) and I think that the 300 is very easy to ride . If you clear the hill the 1st time it's much easier than making multipal atempts . The 300 will make it easier to clear the hills the first time
Just my opinion , good luck with what ever you may get .

Last edited:

colem

Mod Ban
Sep 29, 2002
You guys think the 300 is too much bike? When I rode it, it had more power than I could use no doubt at all but it was so smooth that it seemed really easy to ride.

headbanger

May 7, 2000
My 02 XC250 has been great! I also came off a KDX200. You will love the GASGAS !! It seems to make it through the nasty stuff better than other bikes
I.M.O.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I'm - ahem -- near 40 and I love the 300 power. I have the true Euro EC -- it's a three-stroke that can get me out of lots of trouble. I have the Marzochi forks -- love 'em.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
On the topic of weight - the 200 does weigh a couple of pounds less - and it is mostly in the crank and flywheel giving it less gyro effect (it also has different center cases from the other models). This results in a lighter "feel". On all three of the bikes the mass is very centralized - the fuel cell carries the fuel low between the rails of the perimeter frame and the bike feels very light and very balanced.

I have a gasgas ec300 with the "ohlins fork option" and love it. Like a 4 stroke you can either ride it lazy and grunt around or get on it and ride more aggressively if it suits your fancy. I have a doma pipe (similar to the messico that the canadian model has) and an LTR PV cover installed to smoooth the bottom end and improve bottom end roll-on response. With an fmf gnarly pipe, which u.s. models used to come with, the bike doesn't shine on top compared to the messico or doma...

jeff
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Products and Services

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Awesome Awesome Bike

I think the "subject" posted above wraps up my opinion. I absolutely love the bike. Suspension is excellent for the woods, the handling is superb, and the power is plentyful and easy to meter out. This bike loves the technical stuff, tight , and greasy. Mine is a 99EC300 with FMF pipe, LTR jetting, and LTR power valve cover. AWESOME BIKE. The power comes on so smooth the bike is easy to handle in the woods without tiring you out.

PS: I have had a crank bearing failure last year, not sure why, and one bad kill switch other than that I would say the bike has been pretty reliable.

Prior bikes:
xr 650L (93)
KTM EXC 250 (94)
KDX 200 (94) still have it

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I placed a couple thrads in the archives that are similar to this if you want to do some more reading :thumb:

colem

Mod Ban
Sep 29, 2002
Went for my first ride with it today. Wow, powerful. Suspension was good if I was standing but seemed really rough if I sat down (probably due to the very hard seat).

bjurcina

Dec 2, 2001
Just bought an 02 EC300 and I love it! The best bike I have ever riden in the woods. I agree with everything that has been said in the previous posts .

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Where did you buy your GG? I would love to buy an EC250 if there was a decent dealer anywhere in Ontario. There is a guy up north but he is into Trials, not offroad.

henkholland

Oct 26, 2000
he guys, if your GG is new, check your spokes frequently for tightness. After breaking it in and doing one enduro (about 6 hours total) several spokes were very loose. I could move some of the little nuts (don't know the word) with my fingers. Apart from that: my GG300 2002 in red is a miracle.

Top Bottom