spivv39

Mar 16, 2004
A guy i know offered me his Gas Gas 300 enduro bike 2000 year, which he is fed up with because it oils plugs when trail riding maybe once or twice a day. It appears standard with no mods and dosent smoke or spooge excessivly, anybody come across this before? Was this a problem with them?
Any help appreciated

Thanks for the comments, It turns out that this is a 2001 model if it makes any difference!

Last edited:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
My GG (same bike) will foul plugs if I don't ride it a wee bit hard. A LT Racing jetting kit will probably fix it. Running at very slow speeds with little throttle opening (riding with the kids) would probably need a hotter plug. It's a good bike and if he thinks there is something wrong with it you could get it cheap.

Gas Gas Links

bluesboy

Mar 8, 2004
I have an '03 300 Gasser and have had several other strokers before. Here are a couple of points - hope they help.
What make oil and mix ratio does your friend use? I've used Silkolene Comp 2 before and found it oiled the plug. It's a straight 40 grade oil and is quite heavy. Currently I use either Castrol TSS or Putolene MX7 (both fully synthetic) at 50:1 without problem.
Best plug to use is NGK B8EGV.
Is the breather pipe from the power valve chamber blanked or open? If it's blanked it may be causing slight oiling so best let it all drain out.
LT jetting kits...hmmmm....I have one fitted to increase power off the bottom end. It undoubtedly worked but it utilises a very large pilot jet. The result with mine was that it caused excesive oiling out of the silencer and my one and only oiled plug! I'm not totally convinced that they're a huge benefit in our UK climate and gloopy riding conditions unless your on the pipe all the time. I'm removing the jetting kit.
Good luck.

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
LTR jetting

Bluesboy,
You Brits do seem to have some difficulty with the LTR kit.
What needle did yours come with? The newer -1 needle is
leaner, also if you are using a 48 or 50 pilot try a 45, this helped on mine (2001 XC300). According to Les the small
stock pilot caused "pullover" when getting on the gas. Not sure if that's the correct term but that's why the larger pilot.
The kit isn't perfect for every bike but is a good starting point
depending on your specific locale and conditions. I use a
BR7ES plug and it works fine. I don't race so I am not concerned about the precious metal electrode plugs.
Give the kit another try with appropriate changes for your conditions.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
bluesboy said:
LT jetting kits...hmmmm....I have one fitted to increase power off the bottom end. It undoubtedly worked but it utilises a very large pilot jet. The result with mine was that it caused excesive oiling out of the silencer and my one and only oiled plug! I'm not totally convinced that they're a huge benefit in our UK climate and gloopy riding conditions unless your on the pipe all the time. I'm removing the jetting kit.
Good luck.

The LTR jetting kit was developed on my bike. We live in the Northwest United States - you would feel right at home here -> tight trails through the woods, mud, and constant rain (sound familiar). First and second gear and I work the throttle constantly (I even mount a trials throttle off of a honda TL 200 in the winter months...). I'll go from that to full throttle as I pop out onto a logging road and head for the next section of trail.

There are many others in the UK who have mounted the kit and rave about it - I would ask that you quit slamming on it and contact Les so that he can get you straightened out. His e-mail is les@lt-racing.com

- jeff

bluesboy

Mar 8, 2004
Hey fellas!

I'm not out to knock the LTR jetting kit. I've bought a few items from Les and have always had excellent service from him. I did contact him about the kit for my 300 and gave him climate and riding conditions - in return he gave me suggested settings for needle etc.
I originally bought the kit for a Gasser 250 but the bike was stolen the same weekend I fitted the kit - I told Les my sad tale and he replaced the kit free of charge - can't get better service than that!
I would guess my jet kit is about 2.5yrs old so if there is a newer needle available I may give it another try. May try 45 pilot too.
Rain! - Mud! Yep sounds familiar - I think we must be getting the tail end of all those hurricanes you've been having over there!!
On a slightly different note - what happened to Travis Pastrana (hope I spelled that correctly?) at last weekends Weston Beach Race in UK? Broken wrist on first lap I believe. It's a mad race. 1000 bikes over a 4 mile man made track on a sandy beach. 10% of bikes didn't make it past 2nd lap - mine included. A report can be found at www.enduro.freeserve.co.uk and scroll down page if you're interested.
Cheers!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Spivv39, I suggest you, or your buddy try one hotter plug. It won't cause any harm and will allow the plug tip temp to get high enough to clean itself. I've run a "7" in my 250 for the past 2 years without problem.

Also check the basics:
1) airscrew setting
2) clean and not over oiled air filter
3) Good, fresh fuel with a good oil
4) new plug (not cleaned old one)

I do alot of slow speed stuff with mine and have NEVER fouled a BR7ES

spivv39

Mar 16, 2004
Thanks for all the points, all appreciated and taken onboard, i know how to proceed as i quite fancy the 300.
spivv

Top Bottom